23n Achery Bull

B

bacpac

I drew a 23n archery bull tag. Only 15 bull tags and no cow hunters. Should be an awesome experience!! Probably 1 of the top 3 units in state right now for MONSTER Bulls at least in my opinion. Is managed for a high Bull ratio and this can lead to many of the top end bulls ending up with broken horns but, what a problem to have.

Are you a Res or NR? How many pts did you have? Congrats on the tag. It was my first choice but I wasnt a lucky one.

I am a life long resident and drew with 9 total points. This was my 1st choice for last couple of years.

I drew this tag last year and had a fantastic hunt. You are in for an experience of a lifetime.

Congratulations!

Hikeomatic:

I was up there scouting for my rifle hunter last year...What did you end up with? Got photos?

Yes its a great unit, but I know a couple of guys who blanked!

I'm getting ready to send out DVD's of our hunt to the archers and early rifle hunters who might want some 'professional help" on this hunt.

Should be awesome this year!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

A friend of mine had 13 bonus points this year and I was sure he would draw an archery tag this year. Somehow he missed out, even though I thought he would be in max bonus point pool draw.

In '08 the top bonus point applicant (just one sportsman) and hehad 13 BP's and two of the five sportsmen who had 12 BP's drew the other two tags to finish off the 20% pass rule.

Yes, it is one of the top units in AZ, but I didn't here of any 400 point bulls taken there. On the other hand, there were a number of 400 point bulls taken in 3A-3C.

Anyone know of a legitimate 400 point bull that was taken in 23N last year (rifle or archery)?

Just curious.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Don,

I took a great bull. I submitted my story and pics to Carter's so you may see him in the near future.

I spent alot of time in the unit but didn't find the big boys until the first week in September. I spoke to a game and fish officer about 3 weeks ago that said he knew of 2 bulls taken over that magical 400 mark. However, I don't know the details.

I specialize in that area and the reason you don't hear of 400+ bulls being taken in that unit is because we don't advertise it. We don't want it to become like unit 9 where nobody can get drawn. It is an incredible unit for those who really know it. Info on that area is worth more than gold

Rod

Hikeomatic,

I live about an hr away from 23n and plan on spending mega time this summer scouting. I have hunted unit for achery deer but always in late hunt.
If you wouldn't mind I would like to run a couple of areas by you after I have narrowed down my research.

I too heard of a couple of 400 bulls taken in unit on rifle hunt.

Looking forward to seeing your bull in Hunting Fool.

huntazelk, I couldn't agree more. I have been hunting in 23 for about 10 years now and love it more and more every year. I have been telling my wife that I want to buy property in Young. So far she isn't having any of that. This is one of them double edged sword things where you want to tell people about it but you also want to keep it to yourself so that it doesn't turn into another unit 9. My buddy took a nice bull out of this unit last year and I have the same tag this year. Really looking forward to the hunt.

You are so right about it being a double edged sword. People want to show off but when there are so few tags, way less than unit 9, 10 and 3c. I keep saying, "If poeple only knew...". People who have drawn that tag and who have it now will needed to keep things a little hushed or they will never draw another tag due to the demand. If you know where to look you can see pictures of 400+ bulls from that unit in magazines and on this site. My first big bull I took in 1994 in unit 9 right after Brady took his 418 bull. Then unit 9 got hammered by people and guides. Then I moved to Unit 7 and ditto. So much for keeping 23 a secret.

Rod

bacpac,

Any way I can help, just let me know.

Rod,

I'm with you....I'll go a step further, I wish elk hunting in AZ had been kept a secret:) The quality of elk hunting in Arizona is pretty great regardless of the unit. Like it or not...word's out. It sounds like you've built a viable business as a result. So I guess it's good for all of us.

While several publications boast the quality of units like this one, others hold opportunities as well. Those fortunate few to hold a tag in AZ could kill a great bull regardless of the unit. I spoke to a 14 year old kid at the ISE who shot a 388 bull in 22 last year. There are number of other success stories in less notable units.

Public Service Announcement: Those of you thinking about 23N in the future....don't waste your time, it's hot, lots of catcus, difficult to get to and most bulls only have one antler. OK that should work.

Above all....Good Hunting!

let me get this right... there is a thread that is garnishing discussion and thus attention about a certain unit and the discussion is about how they wish there wasn't any attention given to this same unit........hmmmmmmmmmm, OK.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom