243 for coyotes

muleymaniac81

I live in western Oklahoma, where the wind tends to really blow. 30MPH is not considered bad. I work 6 days a week, and my yote hunting is limited to days off whem I can get time to hunt, and days when the snow, ice, or mud prevents me from working (I drive a truck hauling crude oil at night). My Savage 12BVSS 22-250 has never let me down, but there are days that I say, "I would go coyote calling, but the wind is too bad." With my fast twist, I can't accurately stabilize bullets that can buck the wind like I would like. In the wake of an anti-gun election, the wife has given me the go-ahead to spend my next quarterly bonus on guns. I am considering a .243 for my varmint rifle, but I would like to get a few further opinions on the subject. I have shot quite a few calibers in the wind, so if you are gonna tell me to go get a .223, I am not gonna hear it. Cost of ammo is not a consideration, as my uncle has a reloading shop and almost every die you could think of for non-wildcat calibers. Also, in brush country, a 4000 fps round is not paramount, as I've seen what hot bullets do in the tall grass, blow up. The vast majority of my shots are within 200 yards, but occasionally need to stretch my range to 500 or so. The .22 caliber is just not as accurate beyond 350-400 IMO. Is the .243 my best option, considering Okie pelts will get you about $6 at best? My .300 Win. Mag. does a great job, but is a little too punishing to be my primary windy day gun. What about a .260 or .25-06? Or any other factory calibers you can suggest, for that matter. Thanks for your help,
Mitch

I shoot the .243 on occasion and it puts the hurt on coyotes. I've had coyotes with little to no fur damage to 10 inch holes. It does buck the wind a little better than the .22-250 but I've found that on really windy days the coyotes just don't like to respond to calls. So if your sole purpose is to use it as a coyote gun I think your .22-250 is going to do just as well for coyotes. But if you plan to use it for deer, coyotes, and varmints then I'd get one.

I don't think you could go wrong with a .243 . It's plenty strong enough to buck the wind inside the 200 yard shot you said you'd be taking. The only thing I can tell you is , though a .243 has very little recoil , I really like to see the yotes fall in the scope with hardly any recoil and I get that with my other calibers and my .243 still bounces up some where I can lose a yote out of my scope. If your thinking about a new rifle just for varmints yet don't want a .223, or .220 , the 22-250 is alot stronger and you will still get that in scope kill effect.....If your a bigger man and recoil doesn't move you then like I said a .243 is hard to beat...

i've had the 17 rem 223 22-250 and the swift but my coyote rifle is the 243.
the wind here in casper wyoming is intence not uncommen for 60 mph and more days at 30 then 10mph that is why i've stuck to the 243.
its probably killed over 300 yotes. two on sunday.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom