.243 varmit gun??

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
What's your opinion on a .243 for a coyote gun.

I'll admit, I don't have to get one, but I want to get one. I have a 22-250 but wouldn't mind passing it down to my oldest son.

I think it might be a good starter gun for my middle and youngest son as well. Ok, I'll admit it I guess, I am trying to justify it...

Just want to get some opinions.

243 is a great varmint gun. I have a SPS varmint in 243 and love it. Shooting a 70gr Sierra HPBT Matchking at over 3600fps. Does a number on coyotes and bucks the wind a little better than a 50gr bullet. Now if you wanted you could shoot a 55gr bullets at around 4000fps.
My twelve year old son killed a cow elk with it last year shooting 100gr bullets. It is a real versitle setup. With the added weight of a varmint barrel it has virtually no kick. My son setup up on a snipepod is deadly accurate.

I bought a used .243 long ago when my oldest daughter was almost old enough to hunt. I've cut the stock off and glued it back, as several kids got older and then it was passed back to a younger sibling.

Worked great for several daughters and a couple of sons.

I bought a 2nd one (much shinier and nicer) to loan to kids from my hunter ed classes, whose dad's couldn't/wouldn't take them....had a small army each deer season for years.

James (8-year-old) and I both shoot .243s at coyotes. If you check into it, you'll be surprised (at least I was) at how favorably it compares to a .270....except less recoil, noise and cheaper bullets for coyotes and rock chucks. (Enough to kill a deer as far as most should ever shoot.)

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Well woodruff!

Sweet Gun!

Last year during General PISSCUTTER Season I was packing Old Faithful,but after 3 days of pure HELL conditions I had it so soaked I decided to get get the Stainless Varmit Gun out(243!)thinking at least it wouldn't Rust in the Poor conditions!

538 Yards with a POWER POINT & the 243 Varmit Gun had knocked it's first PISSCUTTER down in some of the worst conditions you'll ever endure!

Now before somebody starts their BS with me!

I'll be the first to say IMO the 243 ain't big enough for big game!

That's where the 375RUM will come in when I get it finished!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

LAST EDITED ON Aug-02-11 AT 06:05PM (MST)[p]The .243 Win is a great little cartridge for everything up through deer with the right grain and properly constructed bullet for what you are using it for. IMO it's a little small when you're talking elk, but it will do the job with a good broadside shot in the lungs with a bonded bullet. The Sako I have is a tack driver, but I generally don't use it for anything bigger than coyotes and move up to my Ruger 25-06 for antelope. I did shoot a decent hog with it in south Texas a year ago and a couple deer down there years ago before we lost our lease. That's my Dad in the middle of the picture and he's now in the hospital in San Antonio and it doesn't look like he will make his 89th birthday next month. Prayers would be appreciated that he goes peacefully!

3660p1000906.jpg

Great advice as usual!!

It won't be used on elk, mostly a gun to practice with and shoot a few varmits! Where my middle son is small, it will be good to practice with before he moves up to a little bigger caliber.

I'll be the first to admit, I was pleasantly surprised at the ballistics.

Bessy: I'm surprised that you own one. I thought your minimum requirements for dogs was a 475 RZuZm...

Lol woodruff!

I do have a few PISSCUTTER Calibers,lol!

You won't go wrong with the 243!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Great gun all around. It is my go to gun for a "meat doe hunt" for whitetails. Killed plenty of pigs with it too. Should be a great antelope gun as well. Many like it for mule deer, but I jump to my 270 for that.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Love my .243!!!! I am currently shooting the 58gr Hornady V-max and have been impressed thus far. Super flat shooting gun. Puts the dogs right down.....
redelkarcher>>>-------------->

The 243 is my windy day, long range coyote killer.

Hornady Vmax 58 gr bullets, get there in a hurry.

85 gr Federal Fusion, will kill ANY deer on the continenet inside 400 yds, including my last 5 Colorado bucks.

Very low recoil, easy to shoot all day for youngsters.....or us old guys, lightweight and easy to carry and the bullets are reasonable.

".....but by God, I never said a word to a pig!"

Once again, great advice;I'm convinced!

Thanks for the bullet recommendations as well. There are a lot of coyotes in my area and I need to do a better job of killing a few!!

I sold guns for 20 years, in a pervious life, so with that said;
If you want one, buy one!

I've had a .243 in some form or another for almost 50 years! All my girls shot their first few deer with a .243 win.

I just built a wildcat 243WSM which will probably be shot out about the time I get the right load developed... but... it'll be fun to play with out to 1000 yards. (on paper)

Zeke

Thanks Beavis14---It's looking like it's just a matter of days, but he isn't in any pain, so thank God for that!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-11 AT 12:21PM (MST)[p]The 243 will be perfect. I have a 243AI and I like the 80gr TTSX and 95/105VLD in mine. You won't be disappointed.

Zeke- 243WSM? What are the specs? What WSM case are you starting with? What bullet?Twist?

I have an older Win mod 70 in .243 that shoots 55gr. Bal. Tips in .5 inch groups. I vote you go for it!!

Topgun,

Sorry to hear about your Dad. We lost 2 grandparents in 2 months. Prayers in your behalf are on there way.

Anybody out there shooting a .243 WSSM (Win. Super Short Mag.)that came out in 2003?

Zeke---What caliber did you build that WSM from?

My Dad gave me a .243 for my first deer gun when I was 11. I have moved up to a .270 since then for deer but I still use the same .243 to kill the dogs all winter long. I love it, I think I am shooting 85 gr. so I dont worry too much about the wind and am still getting good distance with it. It is absolutely my go to gun for varmints. I just bought my fiance one back in April to get her started out hunting as well. I got her the Marlin X7, great gun for the price.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

I used the 270wsm platform. Heavy 28", 1 in 8 twist, Krieger barrel, blue printed Rem 700 short ADL with a single shot feed ramp, McMillan shock.

I'm in the process of necking and outside neck turning the brass etc right now. I have not popped a cap in the rifle yet. We'll see how it shoots for accuracy and what I can really get for velocity.

Yes Topgun, I changed the trigger! haha

Like I said before, I'll probably have it shot out by the time I get the load worked up! When that happens I'll go to a 6.5wsm. I've had the chance to shoot one of these a bunch. My LR shooting buddy has a couple.

Thanks for the interest, it's probably not the kinda gun for everyone though.

Fun fun fun

Zeke

Zeke- Sounds like a fun project. What bullet are you planning on shooting? 105VLD?115DTAC? I imagine it will be a screamer and very fun to shoot.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-11 AT 01:27PM (MST)[p]Zeke---I had a good laugh when I got to your trigger comment, because that was the first friggin thing I thought of when I read you were working with a 700 action, LOL! What trigger did you put in it and any idea of fps you'll get out of her as you work up near max? It sounds like it will be a neat little round with a lot of git up and go!!!

Yes, but don't tell one_dryboot that I'm going to shoot some Bergers! My buddy really likes the DTAC's too. I might even whack a deer or pronghorn but I'll need to "road hunt" since the gun is so darn heavy and long.
I'm an old dog and have always enjoyed a good custom or semi-cuntom rifle but this project is totally different for me. It's a real toy since it doesn't really conform to the way I like to hunt. I think I'll like it though.

Zeke

I'm pretty sure th 8 twist will stabilize the 115er's. We'll see.

TG,
I've usually got a couple timneys and a Jewell or two lying around all the time. This one has a Jewell on it.
The 95 grainers should go about 3700-3800fps. The 115DTAC's should be around 3375. The 105 Bergers about 3500-3600fps.
(these velocities come from a couple guys who have them)
The gun is heavy enough and the bullets light enough that the recoil will be very mild. Like I said, I've shot the 6.5 wsm quite a bit and the recoil is very mild even with the 140VLD's.
Zeke

Both are great triggers! That suprises me, at least on the lighter bullet. I would have figured you might break 4 thou with it!

TG,
These are some velocities which I was told by others (and as my memory serves me). I suspect it will be at least those numbers. The 28" barrel should help a bit.

Give me a few months and I'll let you know what I really get.

I've had the thing put together for a couple months but, every free day, I head to the hills to scout for big bulls. My daughter will only have 1 good Ut bull tag and the 243WSM will be there when I get back to playing with it.

Thanks for the interest. I'll keep you posted.

Zeke

I have a couple of them TOPGUN, pretty sweet, killed about 200 coyote's with them and about the same amount of fox, blow the livin hell out of the fox usually, Antelope to shot 8 of them with it, I can send you a pic of what a 95gr, B.T. does to a speed goat at 80 yards.

booner76---Which caliber are you talking about since we are discussing a couple besides the .243 Win itself?

243 is a great rifle, low recoil Very shootable by even little frame people. Will keep mine for a long time.(kids call it the golden rifle) it doesn't miss to often.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I agree with all the above.
I too have a Remington SPS in .243 w/sporter barrel.....When I can pry it from my kid's hot little hands that is.

img5569g.jpg

It is a superb rifle.
This one groups "blue box" factory Federal 80 incredibly well with very moderate pelt damage.

010les.jpg

img5575k.jpg

With well placed shots I wouldn't hesitate to hunt deer or antelope with it either.

I am amazed! I'm nominating the .243 the best caliber ever!! There hasn't been one argument about it and not one putdown on this thread!

I actually looked at a few this evening. I'd really like to try the X-Bolt!

You asked about the 243 WSSM right?
That is what I have been shooting and loadin for.

Thanks booner76! I'll bet that little rascal will do a number on all of the critters you mentioned and then some!

Boon,
We were talking about them all and I was just saying I built a wildcat 243 WSM Which is based on the larger std WSM case. Strange, I know, but it'll be fun anyway.
The WSSM's are cool deals but I've never used one.
Zeke

Sweet, the head dude from morgan utah came out to my store once about the WSSM'S and the WSM'S, guess he was going around to the larger dealers asking for advice on the new caliber, I told them to build a 25cal built off the wsm case, they didnt do it, instead came out with the short lived 25 wssm but MAN!!
What crazy project, So you started with 270wsm brass and necked down to 6mm?
You gonna try 3100,870, 4350, 4831? I bet you reloader 22 would be good in that guy.
I hope your gonna post up some velocities for us.
My 6mm-284 loves IMR 4350, but your gonna struggle with load densities arent you?
I know I do in the 6-284.
booner

Retumbo is one of the powders which will help with the "density" problem. I posted the velocities (as I remembered them) in a pervious post. I got them from a coupel friends who shoot them.
Perhaps I'm premature in talking about the gun since I was in the middle of finishing the project when I found ou my daughter drew a trophy elk tag.

"Toy gun" went on hold and the scouting and workouts began. At my age the mountains are a little steeper and a bunch taller so that's about all I've been doing.

The gun is done, brass being prep'd but the rifle isn't scoped yet. With the elk tags, deer, pronghorn and a bighorn sheep hunt this year, I'll be lucky to get back to it before Christmas.

Thanks, Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom