243 win for elk?

Aaronjhanson

My wife has been shooting a 243 winchester in a youth model rifle. 100 gr Core lokt Remington factory ammo. She also has a bull tag this year. if I can get her within 100 yards of a younger bull, will this work? we will only be looking for broad side shots. she knows that she should shoot until the animal falls.

should I look for a nosler partition 243 ammo?

My other option is a reduced recoil 270 ammo.
any thoughts guys?

Aaron

Come follow me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AJH.Knives

I would go with the RR 270 all day over a 243. The 243 will kill any elk that lives if you make a perfect shot. It's the marginal shots made in the heat of the moment that makes me want the bigger 270 bullet.

Why reduced recoil? My wife is a tiny little thing and shoots a 130 grain regular loads with no issues. When we hit the range she practices shoots a .223 then she shoots about 1/2 a box max of .270. Do this a few times and she has no problem getting sore etc.

If the .270 is too much I would suspect she may need some form adjustment.

243 will work within 200 yards. But I would think a 270 with regular loads wouldn't be too rough either.

My wife killed a spike elk with a 243 at 200 yards and it didn't take a step.

I have shot many elk with a 25-06 120 grain core lock. I would rather have her shoot what she is comfortable with. And that sounds like the 243. Just keep it real when it all goes down. Be ready for real good opportunities to slip through. And I would shoot any Bull, you don't have to look past a big one. Attitude is everything.

DZ

thanks for the input guys.
As a young teen she said her father took her shooting. she can't remember what she shot but it kicked her bad enough to never want to shoot a rifle.

She shoots pistols just fine. Can shoot the AR just fine. we have been working on the 243 and she is confident with it.

My 270 shoots factory Nosler accubond 130 grn ammo sub MOA at 100 yards. With our Hunt starting Oct 15. I am torn on starting her on the 270. I don't want to mess things up for her.

If I do stay with the 243. should i stay with the 100 gr core lokt or should i go to the 100 gr partition?

aaron

243 without hesitation. Sounds like she is comfortable with that gun and will put one in the boiler room. That caliber will put any elk down every time. Not like a 270 is going to gain you much ground on sub par shots over a 243. It's not like she will be stepping up to a 300 ultra. Good luck.

That caliber will not put any elk down every time like full throttle says. I loaned a buddy my .243 for elk hunting as he didn't have a rifle. The first year, he lost a bull. The second year, I happened to be with him and finished the bull after 3 shots from the .243. Decent placement also. He was using Core-Lokts. If you must use the .243, step up to the Partition or Accubond. Maybe one of the monos. Keep shots sane, and you might not have an issue. mtmuley

Get Rid of them F'N Core-Lokts before You've got an Animal Limping off & Dieing without a Recovery!

JUDAS!

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

>That caliber will not put any
>elk down every time like
>full throttle says. I loaned
>a buddy my .243 for
>elk hunting as he didn't
>have a rifle. The first
>year, he lost a bull.
>The second year, I happened
>to be with him and
>finished the bull after 3
>shots from the .243. Decent
>placement also. He was using
>Core-Lokts. If you must use
>the .243, step up to
>the Partition or Accubond. Maybe
>one of the monos. Keep
>shots sane, and you might
>not have an issue. mtmuley
>

Nice move, loaning a buddy a 243 for Elk.

Shot placement is superior to larger caliber, so let her use the 243 since she is comfortable with it and will have a better chance to hit the necessary vitals.
I second the motion to get rid of the Rem. Core Lokts as they will break up on bone. I would strongly consider the Nosler Partition bullets for elk. keep any shot to a reasonable distance to insure a hit in the vitals.

RELH

This year, since it is so close to her hunt, I'd stick with the 243, but I'd switch to Nosler Partitions or Barnes TTSX. I'd be careful on shot selection and remember that you'll probably care a lot more about letting a bull walk than she will, and probably a whole lot less than her if she wounds and loses a bull, so be cautious about getting her a broadside, close shot.

Going forward to next year, I'd work her slowly into the 270. Good luck, have fun and make sure the whole hunt is about her and her enjoyment of her hunt. Let us know how it goes.

I took my cow elk last year with a Ruger 243 flat bolt using a 100Gr Nosler partition.That was loaded with IMR 4831 at 40.0 Gr.
It went through the back part of her shoulder blade in between two ribs got both lungs and a rib going out the other side.
It was one shot one kill and ALL at 439 yards.

45 ACP for when you have seconds to live and the police are only minutes away

>I took my cow elk last
>year with a Ruger 243
>flat bolt using a 100Gr
>Nosler partition.That was loaded with
>IMR 4831 at 40.0 Gr.
>
>It went through the back part
>of her shoulder blade in
>between two ribs got both
>lungs and a rib going
>out the other side.
>It was one shot one kill
>and ALL at 439 yards.
>

So you aimed approximately 30'' high and it went all the way through the elk with only roughly 975ftb of energy? Highly unlikely and if you did make that shot, shame on you.

I'd recommend the 270 for sure.

The 243 should not be legal for elk.

Sure it will work with good enough bullet placement. and we all know kids never screw up a shot don't we?

Depredation hunts on my ranch come with a .270 minimum caliber requirement. I hear the whining all the time from dwarfs, inexperienced hunters and kid's parents and I won't budge. elk might be varmints but you shouldn't use a varmint rifle to hunt them.

This sums it up more politically correct than I can.

http://www.petersenshunting.com/ammo/243-winchester-viable-elk-cartridge/

Stay Thirsty My Friends

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-16 AT 00:16AM (MST)[p]They're elk, they ain't rhinos! Put the bullet in the boiler, doesn't matter, dead elk. 100 grain core lokts dead elk! Shoot a bigger gun, flinch, and watch a gut shot elk run off, or shoot something you can drop dimes with and enjoy elk steaks! I'd shoot em with my 22.250 if they'd let me!

Here's a pic of an elk shoulder blade. The four holes you see are from a .177 caliber pellet gun with 4.3 grain pellets travelin at 1400fps! Tell me again how tough an elk is! DON'T TAKE MARGINAL SHOTS! The marginal shots aren't your elk! The next one will be!

1617120151014095914.png

>Here's a pic of an elk
>shoulder blade. The four holes
>you see are from a
>.177 caliber pellet gun with
>4.3 grain pellets travelin at
>1400fps! Tell me again how
>tough an elk is! DON'T
>TAKE MARGINAL SHOTS! The marginal
>shots aren't your elk! The
>next one will be!
>
>
1617120151014095914.png

Show us the hole through the hide, muscle and organs... The bullet starts expanding on impact, which greatly slows it's momentum. I'm not saying a 243 won't kill an elk, I know many have been killed by them, but a bigger caliber with more energy is going to up her kill chances greatly.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-16 AT 07:17AM (MST)[p]That's a tiny, slow movein pellet, not a 100 grain bullet traveling 3k+ fps. Of course the pellet won't penetrate hide, muscle, scapula and ribcage and reach the vitals the pic just shows the shoulder blade, the only bone in front of the rib cage covering the vitals, is not a bullet stopper. If she uses a bigger caliber and flinches from the recoil does it really up her kill chances? Lost game is mainly due to poor shot placement from taking the marginal shot or not having the ability to put it where it needs to be. I'd rather a person shoot a gun they're comfortable and confident with and shoot well cause they shoot it often than somebody with a fancy new magnum they're unfamiliar with and blink when they pull the trigger cause they fear the ensuing pain. I'm reminded of the old quote "fear the man who owns but one rifle, for surely he knows how to use it". Is it the ideal cartridge for elk? Of course not. But if you miss the vitals the results are the same no matter the caliber.

And the only time the shoulder blade comes into play is on a quartering towards shot which is again, a marginal shot. Let that shot pass and enjoy why yer out there in the first place, getting your bride involved in an activity you love in hopes of enjoying it together.

Just for mtmuley! Looks like yer boys got a QB!

83678img001.jpg

Hey Guys,

we will only go for broad side shots, and maybe quartering away shots. I will pick up some Nosler partitions.

Also, i made flash cards of elk in different positions. we sit down and go over what is a kill shot in each one of the pictures. I need to throw a few "no shot" pictures in there for good measure.

and finally, after much discussion on the responsibility of making the shot count, and how quick to put the animal down. she agreed to try and shoot the 270 this weekend.

I will keep you all posted.

When you go out this weekend have your wife shoot with her hunting clothes - long sleeve shirt, sweater, coat etc. This will make the 270 recoil not an issue.

Also, I would recommend the TTSXBT as well, as it will maintain both its velocity and energy significantly better. The blue tipped bullet requires less MV to open up thus allowing it to function better if you go with the 243 vs 270.

Also, remind her re: the recoil of the 270 that she will not realize it when she shoots the bull elk as compared to target shooting.

I would NOT have her shoot regular 270 ammo from the bench for practice. Have her shoot reduced recoil loads for practice. Then switch to regular loads for the hunt. She will never know the difference when an elk is standing out there.

Also, SIMs recoil pads are awesome. Get a replacement pad for her gun and it will help a lot as well

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

My twin daughters started hunting when they turned 12. They hunted until going to college and will continue to do so when they get out. They shot a 243 WSSM and nothing different.
10 elk and 10 deer later and ZERO lost or wounded animals later all I can say is get whoever it is get them out shooting ALOT.
Shot placement and confidence is more important than the caliber.

The maximum shot they ever took was 250 yards.....

It's all about hard work and ethics.

Back in the day.....there was this old timer lived in Jakobs Lake, AZ....that in his life time killed more elk than you can count with his .243.....its all about shot placement....if we can kill'm with an arrow you put that .243 there double lung and that bull is going down...

))))-------->

Just to stir the pot . . . If someone posted a video of shooting an elk in the head with a .223 at 600 yards, would that mean that a .223 is a legitimate elk caliber?

That video isn't a hunt, it's a stunt.

I Shot a Buck at 538 Yards a few years ago with my Varmint Gun/243!

But GOOD-GAWD I Don't tell anybody about it!

way with Words[/font]

> I Shot a Buck at
>538 Yards a few years
>ago with my Varmint Gun/243!
>
>
>But GOOD-GAWD I Don't tell anybody
>about it!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U.
>in My Future,Ya She's got
>a
>way with Words[/font]
>
>
ME TOO!!

My 11 year old daughter is shooting a 270 with 150gn SST. 52grn of RL22 around 2650fps. I put a muzzle break on the gun and she is not bothered by the recoil. I wanted a rapid expanding bullet in case of a bad hit for more damage. With a 243 you might want a better penitrating bullet.

we went to the range again this weekend. practiced shooting off the tripod sticks. she is good with the 243.
I put her behind the 270 with 130 accubond factory nosler ammo.

she did not like that at all. shot it once and went back to the 243.

so at lunch today i'll stop by the local gun shop and pick up a box of federal ammo 243 100 gr partitions.

there is a chance she might use the 270. she said it was easier to hold and look through the scope. it was also more stable on the tripod shooting sticks that the youth model ruger american rifle.

so there is a chance for the hunt shot with the 270.

Come follow me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AJH.Knives

Why not let her try some reduced recoil 270 loads to practice with. Since the gun is so different, it is always good to practice with the one you take into the field. However, I would NOT use the reduced loads in the field

txhunter58

While Shooting at a Buck or Bull!

I've never Felt a Gun Kick!

Think She'd Like To Squeeze the Trigger on the Gun that done this?:D

79879damage1.jpg

way with Words[/font]

Well, we are going to shoot again this weekend. She wants to just shoot the 270.

If she can put together a good group at 100 yards, i think she will be fine.
keep in mind my wife had no interest in shooting rifles until we took the kids for their hunters ed card. Shooting the 243 was a big deal, shooting the 270 is a bigger deal.

stay tuned

Don't over think this. Don't let everyone tell you that the 243 is too small. The game department says you can use it, right? I think her experience will be much better using the 243. A lot less stress while she is hiking the hills worrying about the kick of the gun.

Good luck which ever way you go.

DZ

Stay with the 243 if thats what she would prefer,, If she can hit a watermelon at 100 yards then go for a head shot,, one and done or a clean miss and keep shooting, why risk a body shot or waste a bunch of meat..

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-16 AT 08:18PM (MST)[p]Sorry, but head shots just don't cut it in my book. The brain on an elk is not anywhere close to a watermelon. Closer to a grapefruit. I have seen people wound deer in the jaw and never recover the animal. There is a lot of room between a kill shot and a clean miss on the head. Stick with the chest.

Not to mention the fact that the head is very mobile and could move at the last minute. There may be those that can get away with it, but I am not one of them and I would NOT tell her to aim there.

And that doesn't even mention the fact that you could screw up the antlers with a head shot

txhunter58

Absolutely a 243 will do the job! I took down a nice 6 point last year with 1 shot from 300 yards. I used winchester 100 grain super x loads. The bull went less than 15 yards and fell over dead.

My Wife has killed a number of cow elk with her .243 BLR. Use the best bullets her rifle will shoot well. AJ's elk have all been shot with a 100 partition. She is extremely particular about what shots she takes and is deadly accurate.

Have her stay with that .243 that she shoots well,Her knowing how well she can shoot it will be a game changer.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

My daughter inlaw just shot two cow elk one at 498yds and one at 550yds. Both dropped within 20 feet of where they were shot. I just shot a 6x6 bull at 235yds all of these elk were shot with 243, 95 grain SMK 49.5 grains of retumbo. These bullets pin holed going in destroyed the lungs and exited with about a two inch hole. We shoot and practice at long ranges constantly.

i was worried about the .243 because I just bought one for my kids to use, and my daughter just killed her first cow elk with it, 100 yard shot, went 10 yards. bullet went through the front shoulder got the lungs and out the other shoulder, just like above mentioned.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-16 AT 07:54PM (MST)[p]Here is my wife trick.
Ruger American Ranch in 5.56/.223 6 lbs 13.75 length of pull..practice practice practice.
Ruger predator in .308 6.2 lbs 13.75 LOP Same trigger adjustment. 2 inch longer barrel..slightly different colored Stock. Very similar scopes...
And you Hideous Hillary proof your home and can shoot NATO AMMO.
As for the .243. I would love to see the elk herd standing that my 45 year old 700 has put on the ground. It is on its 3rd family of little girls and boys I think I get it back after 3rd this year..I will tune it up and loan it out again.

If you can get her within 100 yards on a bull.....put the cross-hairs right behind the Bulls ear and touch it off that .243 will definitely work..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom