243 wssm reloading problems....

338RUM

I have a problem folks...

I have been reloading all my own ammo for well over 20 years, and recently developed a problem with my 243 wssm.

First off, I am assuming it is a rifle problem, not a reloading problem. Factory ammo chambers fine, but is a little tight coming out after being fired.

When I resize, they will rarely chamber at all. I have checked and double checked all measurements..COL, case length, etc...

The funny thing is, i have cleaned the hell out of this rifle every time I have shot it, and since having the problem start, have cleaned the chamber better than I ever have, but I don't see or feel any buildup of any kind in there that would cause this. I have also used two different sets of dies just to make sure something wasn't wrong with my dies..

FYI, once fired, then resized, brass won't even chamber without a bullet in them.

Any theories...????

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all".
Theodore Roosevelt

Sounds like you may have a rifle with excessive headspace?

Are you full length resizing (bumping the shoulders back?) What kind of resizing die?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I am full length resizing. I have used RCBS and Redding dies. I tried a couple just neck sizing with the same result..

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all".
Theodore Roosevelt

Also, I have pulled a bullet out of factory ammo that seems to chamber ok and compared all case dimensions with a fired brass that has been resized and they are identical. It makes absolutely no sense to me....

Theodore Roosevelt

Try a cam-over resize..

Screw the full length sizing die down to where it touches the shell holder then another 3/4's of a turn... You should feel it cam over real good on a full stroke.. Size a couple pieces like this (don't load them with powder and bullets) and see how they chamber ..

You are using the right shell holder for sure?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Need more infromation. where does it hang up and fail to rechamber. Is it half way or at the very end of the bolt being able to close.

Do a more precise measurement of the resized case. If the factory case allowed the bolt to close, and the once fired resized case did not. There has to be a difference somewhere on the case. We can be talking only a few thousands in difference to cause a problem. If you had a bullet seated in both cases, we may be having a problem with the bullet itself causing the problem. More information is needed since we can not see the rifle and the problem.

Another possibility is you have a very tight chamber that may be similar to what is referred to as a "match chamber" and your two sets of dies are failing to resize your brass down enough due to the dies being cut for a standard size chamber that falls within SAAMI specs.

RELH

It hangs up just before closing the bolt as if the COL is to long. I will do a few more precise measurements and your other suggestions and get back with ya.

Thanks guys..

Theodore Roosevelt

Set you sizing die to push the shoulder back a few thousands. If you have already adjusted the die to where it touches the shell holder, and can not set the shoulder back any further, you may have a rifle chamber that is "short" chambered for those dies.

You can remove a few thousands off the bottom of the die to set the shoulder back.

Use a black felt tip marker and color the neck of the case and run it into the sizing die. the black will leave a line showing if your die is or is not sizing the intire neck and bumping the shoulder. That line should just touch the junction where the shoulder meets the neck for a case that will be sized to the rifle it was fired in.

RELH

Here's another alternative to grinding the dies..

http://www.redding-reloading.com/in...ew=article&id=35:competition-shellholder-sets

Let us know if the cam-over sizing did any good..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Bucksnort;

My methold is far cheaper then 72 bucks. I am lucky enough to have a metal lathe and can do it very easly. Otherwise a good belt sander and 220 grit belt or single cut mill file.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-11 AT 09:43PM (MST)[p]RELH, You're right... I would just be to nervous about doing that myself.. Be my luck I would somehow take more off of one side and introduce run out to the cases..

I'm curious to see if the cam over method works..

PS, I envy you having a metal lathe...lol

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-11 AT 08:12PM (MST)[p]I had to set my die's to cam over more, after about 4 times shots.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom