.243 Youth Models

wallhanger

I'm in the market for a deer rifle for my son, who's 9. I want something that he can use until he's in his teens, and eventually pass it down to his kids, so here's my question: What model would you recommend? Also, what do you guys think of Savage rifles? Thanks for your help.

WH

WH,
I think Savage makes damn fine rifles, reasonably priced, that shoot right outta the box!!
Two other good youth options would be the Remington Model 7 and the Ruger Model 77 Compact.
Good luck with your decision.

When I was just a pup 35yrs ago I got my first (age 11) rifle a Model 270 win, my dad just cut the stock off an inch fit me well and to this day it's still shortened and I never notice it, guess what i'm trying to say is that kids grow up fast so don't get him something that he will out grow in 2 yrs, get him the best that you can afford and he will be so proud of it that it will never get handed down to a sibling, some day my grandson will get mine, also you mite want to look at the 7mm-08 if you reload that is one hell of a starter with minimal recoil, good for girls and boys...good luck!

When my son was 9 (now 12) I bought a Ruger compact .243 with a leopold scope (I think 2x7) and it has been a great set-up. That year he shot a caribou and has taken several antelope and even a cow elk with the gun. I did have a trigger job done because I think out of the box the gun had about an 8 pound trigger with some creep but that was easily fixed and we are very happy.

I bought my son a Winchester Model 70 Classic Compact in 7mm-08 four years ago. I started him on reduced loads with 120 gr. Nosler solid base bullets and he is deadly with it. Although it's a youth rifle, I like it rather well myself...

Venado muy grande!

Just bought my 10 year old son (he saved half) the Remington model 700 ADL Youth synthetic .243, put a Nikon Buckmasters 3X9X40 on top, held in place with Burris double dovetail rings with the plastic inserts. Excellent setup that will last him forever. It shoots factory ammo just under 1 MOA. This is my first experience with Nikon, but the glass seems bright and crisp.
He is excited to use it this fall. He shot 2 deer last year with my Remington 700 BDL .243, my first rifle which I still use. Since I'm bragging, it was the first time he ever shot anything bigger than his .22, which he has shot alot.
Ruger makes a compact rifle (same dimensions as a youth model) with ss barrel and laminated stock that really looks nice, for an extra $100.

I bought my son a Savage Youth model .308, then put a muzzle break on it. Recoils less than a .243 and big enough to take an elk or deer.

I love my Savage model 110's. Don't over look the NEF single shots either. They are also very accurate, mechanically are simplicity in themselves, and there is often a high correlation between the use of a single shot and increase in marksmanship (with the break action design a second shot can be made pretty quickly with some practice). I picked up a NEF .243 for my 13 yr old daughter this year. It is the Handi rifle youth model. My 10 year old enjoys shooting it as well.

my parents were shoppin for a gun for me when i was something like 13???? i wasnt a small kid then and the gun was a model 99e savage in .308 with a cheap tasco. the gun was too small for me like 2 years later and it was so small that it didnt even fit right. i had to buy myself a gun that year and ended up costing me 1,600, by far my best investment. i would look into a remington model 7
casey

Get him what ever model he wants, look around on the net for a "take-off" stock for $40-50, cut it down to fit him and when he grows up some you can put the original stock on it and everything will be just right.

Casey... what kind of gun are you shooting?

Remington 700 bdl mountain rifle lss. topped with a stainless silver leupold 3.5-10x50 and harris bipod. i shoot federal high energy trophy bonded bear claw 165 gr. sweet, gun shes my baby.
Casey

Buckrub hit it on the money. The Rem. model 7 is sweeeeet and the Ruger model 77 is next in line. I'd look at the 25 wssm for taking down bigger game.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom