Buffs35

My great uncle is in failing health. I have hunted his land in Aberdeen, SD for over 20 years chasing pheasants.

He is diving up his gun collection. My dad and uncle are earmarked for most of his nicest guns. But he is gifting me a few shotguns and his .243. Don't know the make or model, never seen it before. Even if it is less than stellar, i will be hanging onto it because he means a great deal to me.

Just curious what most folks on here use a .243 for.

Thanks in advance.

Coyotes,antelope and deer are mainly what I would use my 243 for although I'd probably shoot a cow elk with it also.
Depending on the model and barrel twist there are some great bullets to choose from these days in .243.

Its probably my favorite for antelope hunting, have a custom built .243 that has taken 20+ antelope the last 6 years plus a handful of deer. Like Cahunter805 said, if its twisted right you have a great selection of bullets that will work on various critters.

I never had a .243 but I know a lot that do. It seems like it was an Antelope and Varmint rifle for them. They wouldn't have a problem using it for Deer either. The only 6mm in my family was my dad's 6mm ppc and it had no problem taking an Antelope. Thanks for posting, it's been dead here for about two weeks. Let us kńow what kind of rifle it is. It could be a real valuable gun.

I used one on deer for the first few years. All my kids have used them to start on deer and some have now gone to bigger cartridges but some not. It's my wife's favorite and she's use several different chamberings but she made it clear that the 243 it HER deer rifle now and no need for me to push her to a different gun.
Nothing has ever gotten away so obviously they work just fine.

Zeke

#livelikezac

Awesome. Thanks everyone, glad to hear people have used it for speed goats and deer. I am always reluctant to rely on the results of a google search. I grew up shooting a 300 Wby most of my life, so a .243 is out of my realm.

Zeke, I appreciate the post about your wife and kids. I have a daughter who is itching to put some meat in the freezer. Still too young, but be nice to have a rifle she can start with.

Thanks gents.

My Wife has a Browning BLR .243 that She bought when She was 16 and has used to take many cow elk, a pile of deer, and a few pronghorn. I offered to buy her a more ?appropriate? elk caliber and She asked, ?Why??

Hasbean

Not much more can be said here about the .243, but I will add my stamp of approval that you are getting a perfect starter rifle for a novice hunter.
From my experience, most new nimrods are afraid of loud blasting, shoulder smashing high powered rigs. Their fear leads to poor shooting, missed shots and discouragement. But starting out with a .243 will cause none of that. If for no other reason, I'd hang on to that gift with the anticipation of some day adding at least one successful and enthusiastic hunter to the dwindling pool.

That 243 will do the job for a lot of game.
got one that is called the golden rifle by the 6 guys who borrowed it one season in deer camp 7 shots 6 deer(one shot his twice).

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

2200320190426182412.jpg

Here she is. Model 700. Pretty neat little gun. Very excited.

I've got a thing for the .308 parent. My first bolt action was a pass down .308. My first new rifle was a .243. Carried it for years shooting deer and varmints. When the .338 federal cans around I bought that for a moose hunt. They all perform stellar in their own right. This last year I bucked the trend with a .300 wsm just for fun. I think my favorite has to be the .243.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

My old 243 was the first gun for all my kids and grand kids.
It is also my "borrow" gun.
If someone needs to borrow a gun they are usually a newby and the last thing they need is recoil.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom