257 Ackley improved

X7ahunter

Picked a 257 Ackley built on a 1937 Model 70 action with a Apex Barrel. Came with 40 rounds of ammo and a set of Lachmiller dies. Gonna eventually be my Son's rifle, once he gets old enough (he's 6 months) but until then I get to play with it.

First time building a rifle so it's going to be an exciting project.

IMG_20230610_212150965.jpg

IMG_20230610_212202769.jpg

IMG_20230610_212222803.jpg

Should be fun. I have one very similar. My dad had it shooting good with reloads but the recipe was so rubbed off, it was hard to read. You can fire-form257 roberts cartiridges ( I can anyway) to get the brass going. Kids and wife killed some deer with it till the ammo ran out. Nice shooting guns for sure.

Should be fun. I have one very similar. My dad had it shooting good with reloads but the recipe was so rubbed off, it was hard to read. You can fire-form257 roberts cartiridges ( I can anyway) to get the brass going. Kids and wife killed some deer with it till the ammo ran out. Nice shooting guns for sure.
40 pieces of brass should last a bit right? Case life is supposed to be a benefit of Ackleyized cartridges?

Good choice. My dad had a 257 Roberts and it was the first center fire rifle I learned with and I have enough stories with it to fill up this space a few times over. It’s a 722 Remington and non improved but the cartridge is a lot of fun. I still shoot it, but it’s mostly a plinker or play around with gun since I’m left handed. Still gets a lot of use though. I’m sure your son will love the chit out of it. It being an ackley improved is just another thing that adds some coolness.

Well I mean finishing the stock and such. The barrel has never been fired but it's a 1:12 twist.
Gotcha. That’ll be a fun little gun. 1:12 twist will be a good all round barrel. Ever wanna get that thing cooking with some heavier rounds a faster twist re barrel one day will be fun

Last edited:
Good choice. My dad had a 257 Roberts and it was the first center fire rifle I learned with and I have enough stories with it to fill up this space a few times over. It’s a 722 Remington and non improved but the cartridge is a lot of fun. I still shoot it, but it’s mostly a plinker or play around with gun since I’m left handed. Still gets a lot of use though. I’m sure your son will love the chit out of it. It being an ackley improved is just another thing that adds some coolness.
An uncle had a standard Bob as did a couple older buddies of mine. Some were built on Mauser actions. Always thought they were neat. Ackley improved makes it that much more neat.

Grandpa had a Remington Gamemaster 257, before my time, but traded it for a hound. Should have kept the rifle cause the dog wasn't worth the trade in the end. He lost a 25-20 Winchester the same way.

Gotcha. That’ll be a fun little gun. 1:12 twist will be a good all round barrel. Ever wanna get that thing cooking with some heavier rounds a faster twist re barrel one day will be fun
Thought about that with my personal rifle, it's a 270 on a 700 action. But there's to many other options I could do. 257 AI with a fast twist, 270 with a 1:8.5 or faster twist, 280 AI, 7 Mauser or the AI version, and a couple others I like the looks of

I've always been a sucker for 1/4 bore rifles and AI cartridges. I've got a couple 257 AIs, a heavy one built on a 1950s M70 and a super light one built on a Remington 600. Killed a bunch of deer and pronghorn with several bullets over the years but currently shoot 101 LRX at 3250 in the lightweight gun for hunting and 115 Bergers at 3000 in the heavy gun for fun. It is a great cartridge, easy to fire form, easy to load.------SS

Thought about that with my personal rifle, it's a 270 on a 700 action. But there's to many other options I could do. 257 AI with a fast twist, 270 with a 1:8.5 or faster twist, 280 AI, 7 Mauser or the AI version, and a couple others I like the looks of
In my opinion, the 280AI or 6.5-280AI would be the best choices for your 700 long action. I personally like the 280 AI with a 9.5 twist barrel for hunting. If your on the 6.5 bandwagon, I've helped with a couple 6.5-280 AI builds that performed very well. -----SS

In my opinion, the 280AI or 6.5-280AI would be the best choices for your 700 long action. I personally like the 280 AI with a 9.5 twist barrel for hunting. If your on the 6.5 bandwagon, I've helped with a couple 6.5-280 AI builds that performed very well. -----SS
Why go so slow on the 280 ai twist? My 280 ai has a 8.4 twist and if I could do it over again I might have gone with the 8 twist.

Why go so slow on the 280 ai twist? My 280 ai has a 8.4 twist and if I could do it over again I might have gone with the 8 twist.
I shoot the mid-size bullets in my 280AI including a 145 LRX load to be Californica legal. 160 standard Accubonds are my next favorite in this gun. Shoot great out to 700+ yards and thats good enough for me. I've never felt like I needed to shoot 195's in this gun.------SS

I shoot the mid-size bullets in my 280AI including a 145 LRX load to be Californica legal. 160 standard Accubonds are my next favorite in this gun. Shoot great out to 700+ yards and thats good enough for me. I've never felt like I needed to shoot 195's in this gun.------SS
I'm shooting the 143 gr Hammer Hunter myself to be non-lead compliant in CA too.

I'm shooting the 143 gr Hammer Hunter myself to be non-lead compliant in CA too.
My Bro is shooting the 143 HH in a 280 AI 9 twist with zero issues even out to 800 yards. Everyone's mileage may vary when it comes to twist rates.
My 280AI is a 9 twist and shoots the 150 Nosler AB's extremely well. My 6.5x280AI is an 8 twist and I use the 124 HH's with stellar results.
I must have had a bad barrel on a 257 R-AI because it never shot well.
*I have a metric ton (haha) of 257 bob AI once fire brass if you need some.

Zeke

My Bro is shooting the 143 HH in a 280 AI 9 twist with zero issues even out to 800 yards. Everyone's mileage may vary when it comes to twist rates.
My 280AI is a 9 twist and shoots the 150 Nosler AB's extremely well. My 6.5x280AI is an 8 twist and I use the 124 HH's with stellar results.
I must have had a bad barrel on a 257 R-AI because it never shot well.
*I have a metric ton (haha) of 257 bob AI once fire brass if you need some.

Zeke
If you are willing to part with some I'd take it! I got 43 rounds of loaded ammo but it's loaded with 117 grain bullets and I don't know anything else about em. I'm gonna pull the bullets and weigh the powder for giggles but I know that bullet won't stabilize

One of my favorite rifles was a Bob(not improved), but it shot tiny groups with 100g Partitions. My son took his first several animals with that mild little cartridge and he learned to shoot very well with it.
Eventually it stopped grouping and I got kinda bored with it, so I had Zeke help me turn it into a 6.5x284. It's once again one of my favorite rifles, but I have to admit that I do kinda miss ol Bob!

One of my favorite rifles was a Bob(not improved), but it shot tiny groups with 100g Partitions. My son took his first several animals with that mild little cartridge and he learned to shoot very well with it.
Eventually it stopped grouping and I got kinda bored with it, so I had Zeke help me turn it into a 6.5x284. It's once again one of my favorite rifles, but I have to admit that I do kinda miss ol Bob!
I kinda want to see if a 100 grain partition will stabilize in this gun.

Buying previously owned wildcats is always a gamble. I’d have your gunsmith cast the chamber and check the headspace on that before anything.

Buying previously owned wildcats is always a gamble. I’d have your gunsmith cast the chamber and check the headspace on that before anything.
The previous owner did. His uncle had it built years ago but never finished it. My buddy had aspirations to but never got past having the chamber cast and the twist rate verified

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom