.257 Roberts Action Legnth?

K

kitcarson

I have decided that I like the Remington Mod. 700 classic, in .257 Roberts when I realize they offer it in both the long and short action.
Does anyone have some thoughts aboout the M700 long action vs. the short action for this round?

I have no idea what the strenths and weaknesses are for each.

KC

Remington came out with the .257 Roberts
one year in the Classic. It was a long action.

If I'm not mistaken, the Roberts was offered
years ago, short action, in the 722.

The Roberts performs better in a long action,
because you have to seat the bullets short in
the old short actions.

Good old caliber.

.....but I wouldn't do it in a short action.

Mine is a long action but the magazine still restricts length to max C.O.L. Has not caused any problems for me. Wonderful caliber.

I have both Mtn Rifle (short action) and the Classic (long action) in .257 Roberts.
I used the Mtn rifle alot when I finaly found a load it liked.
It shot the old winchester 100grn silver tipped bullets great but they stopped making them. But I found a load with 100 grn nosler partions and have been very happy.
The Classic (the long action)obviously comes in a bigger stock and more weight but is a great gun and used it for antelope and coyotes with great results.
Thank You
Rick

The issue with the .257 Roberts is can you gain enough powder capacity by loading the bullet out to make any practical difference. And the answer is if you consider 100 fps or so significant then the answer is yes. The chamber in the long action Remington .257 Roberts has only slightly longer freebore than standard. If you reload you can get some pretty impressive ballistics. I can get almost 3100 fps with 110 Accubonds. If you don't reload Nosler makes some pretty darn good loads for the .257 that are made for modern bolt action rifles with standard chamber. So the answer to your question would be, if you reload you could benefit from the slightly longer freebore Remington put in the long action. If you don't reload the short action with standard freebore will do just as well with factory stuff.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom