.257 Roberts

Pre64

Very Active Member
I've no complaints with my current combo of 42 gr. of IMR4350 and 115 gr, NPs. I'm 2 grains over max according to the Nosler manual. BUT, the Hodgdon/IMR site lists 45.5 grains as max load. That's a pretty big jump.

Anybody use this combo?? What kind of velocity are you getting?

Pre64;

I do not shoot a 257 Roberts, long time user and fan of the 25-06. I checked my "Pet Loads" by Ken Waters. On the loads for the 257 Roberts, he lists a load of 43 gr. IMR-4350 with a Hornady 120 gr. Hp for a velocity of 2733FPS in a 24 inch barrel. He rated the load as "standard" and having very good accuracy in a Win. M-70.

In his load development, he would measure the case in front of the web before and after shooting. A certain amount of case expansion would determine if the load was a standard load or hot load based on the amount of case expansion.

RELH

Most reloading manuals are a little on the conservative side for this great little round. I use IMR 3031 for 100 gr. and under and IMR 4064 for the heavier bullets. My little Ruger ultralight has a 20" tube, so I have always used a little faster burning powders.

I need to buy that book. Be nice to read it at home for a change.

Variation between manuals is to be exptected, but this is a 12% difference in max load listing for the exact same bullet.

I'm getting 2750 fps. That's fast enough for me and in the envelope where I thing the partition performs best. groups tightened as the velocity increased. I may squeeze a little more out of it. I need a winter project anyway.

Tnx

IMR 4350 is the best powder for
the Roberts with a 100 grain bullet.

It will get things done.

With quickness.

Laro

257 Roberts. 115 gr NP. 1200 yard shot (1050 yards by Danner, 150 yards by Winchester).

elkcampcolorado2005002.jpg

IMR 4350 behind a 100 grain Barnes TTSX shoots incredibly well out of mine as well.

Cool elk photo! Proof it is about placement and bullet construction more than anything else.

As long as you got a good strong bolt action rifle the .257 Roberts can be pushed a little past the books loads. My load with the 115 Nosler Ballistic Tip is 49.0 grs of Reloder 22 in a winchester case. It gives a muzzle velocity of 3050 fps from my 24" Rem 700.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-11 AT 04:18AM (MST)[p]"It gives a muzzle velocity of 3050 fps from my 24" Rem 700."

Now yer cookin with peanut oil!

I'd work up a load with the accubond instead of the ballistic tip but still, sounds like a loading, if provided good accuracy, that i'd be happy with from that cartridge.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I loaded some 115 gr. Berger VLD with 40 gr. H414. I have not cronographed this load, however it is sub moa and a coyote killin' machine so far...

Later, L.T.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom