.257 Wby Mag?

RuRu12

I just recently purchased a Remington SPS Stainless in .257 Wby Mag. I am an experienced reloader, but this will be the first Weatherby Mag cartridge that I have ever reloaded. Are there any special considerations or tricks to know when loading this cartridge? Does anyone have any pet loads they might want to share? I plan to use the rifle primarily for hunting Pronghorns so was considering the 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip as a starting place.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have a couple 257's one in an ultra lite and one in the regular accumark and they both shoot 100 grain nosler partitions with 73gr. Reloaders 22, w/CCI large rifle magnum 250 primers. I have loaded some 100 gr. barnes (triple shock) up (the same) and they shot great as well. After I shot the first couple goats with the partition I hunt mostly with the barnes, because the partition just does too much damage with that speed, I would think the ballistic tip would do the same. This load has worked well for anyone I gave it too. Welcome to the 257 club, what an incredible round. That accumark with a 8.5-25 leupold LR on top and harris bipod on bottom, That gun is pretty much like cheating. If its within 400 yards its point and shoot, bang, flop. Good luck.

I load 68 grains of IMR 4831 with a 100 grain Nosler Ballistic tip. Chrony at 3625. I use the load for deer. 1 shot kills every time. Zero at 335 yards, -4 at 400, -15 at 500, -35 at 600. Yes, like cheating.

I used a max load of IMR 7828 and a 120 Nosler Partition on 2 elk, 3400 fps. 1 shot kills also. 563 yards and 205 yards.

I also welcome you to the club. You should enjoy your gun.

Thanks for the info guys. I really do appreciate it.

I bought a Vortex 6-24x50mm scope with a Mil Dot reticle to try out. I think I am going to add a Harris bipod to the setup as well. I've never used a bipod (usually carry shooting sticks)but after hunting antelope I definitely see the need.

Has anyone tried H4831SC? I use it in my 7mm Rem Mag and it really likes it. It would be great if it worked in the .257 Wby too, one less powder to have to find.

I'm with welp45 on the handload. I shoot the exact load with 100gr TSX in my 257wby. My COL is 3.180.
It is by far one of the funnest, flattest calibers out there. If you shoot factory ammo it can get very expensive. If you reload, brass can be expensive so try running some 264win mag or 7mm win mag through your dies. The neck will be a tit-bit short but I've got some of my most accurate loads out of these reformed brass.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom