.257 weatherby mag w/ brake

Rie bread

Very Active Member
Anyone shoot this round with a can or muzzle brake? Wife and I concluded we are going to start saving for a nice long range hunting gun.

Im wondering if it would be possible to see the bullet impact through the scope with one. Any similar caliber with a brake/ suppressor welcome as well.

With the blast from the brake, doubtful. And a barrel length that would be workable with a can would negate any of the velocity the 257 WBY is known for.

I've never owned a rifle in that cartridge, or even shot one so I'm not the best judge but here is my take.
I know the Wby has been a popular flat shooting quarter bore for a long time, but I don't know anyone in recent years that has specifically chosen it for a long range rifle because of the low BC .25 caliber bullets it requires.
From my experience, most serious long range shooters seem to opt for larger caliber (.264 and up), non-belted cartridges. I believe the common sentiment is that there are more efficient cartridges that burn less powder and have less recoil than the 257 Wby. that will also shoot higher BC bullets for long range efficiency.
I had a friend who owned a 257 Wby, and when I watched him shoot, his seemed to have lots of barrel jump. He did not have a brake on his but I don't think a brake would have tamed it enough to allow him to see impact. That's just my guess.

Any way you look at it, planning for a new rifle is a fun time.
Good luck with your quest.

With the right brake, and the right rifle weight, you should be able to spot impacts with a 257 Wby.

What does "long range" mean to you? The 25 might not be the best choice for you, or it might be perfect!

With the right brake, and the right rifle weight, you should be able to spot impacts with a 257 Wby.

What does "long range" mean to you? The 25 might not be the best choice for you, or it might be perfect!
That’s the tricky part is I’m looking at light rifles so might no be possible. Long range hunting for me would be 400-600 yards. I shoot a .270 that’s sighted in at 300 and love the little guess work while shooting.
That’s the idea with the .257 is little guess work at slightly longer hunting ranges when I anticipate such shots.

Thank you for the reply’s weatherby has a few other cartridges I’m considering like the 6.5

Last edited:
The "platform" and the right scope is more important to me than the cartridge it shoots.....with the right bullet.

LBH is right, a long bullet, with a high BC, is what most opt for at ranges extending to 600+.

WIND will be your enemy and a lower BC bullet will be blown around easily, especially at that range. Yes, you still have to dope for wind with high BC bullets but they'll just shoot better groups and POI will be closer to POA.

With the right twist and bullet, almost any cartridge will do at 600.

Zeke

The "platform" and the right scope is more important to me than the cartridge it shoots.....with the right bullet.

LBH is right, a long bullet, with a high BC, is what most opt for at ranges extending to 600+.

WIND will be your enemy and a lower BC bullet will be blown around easily, especially at that range. Yes, you still have to dope for wind with high BC bullets but they'll just shoot better groups and POI will be closer to POA.

With the right twist and bullet, almost any cartridge will do at 600.

Zeke
Thanks for the input Zeke. Not to worried about the cartridge to much just that it’s lighter recoil.

certainly the platform is high on my consideration. On one hand I’d love to get a mark 5, something about that classy walnut stock look is appealing, but for the same price the new 307 alpine is also an option. Not super into the 307 look but the features seem nice. Hard to pass on getting mark 5 though.

Still interested if I’d be able to see bullet impact with a good brake or suppressor.

Well, Maybe I hold my rifled less tightly than most but I can only see bullet impact, regularly, with my small rifles... like 20 and 22 cal centerfire.

Scope power will come into play. Lower power is easier to see impacts but harder to hit long range targets. Always a trade-off.

I have a super heavy LR 6.5 Creedmoor that's designed for long range gong killing and I can usually see POI with that gun.

I use a suppressor on almost everything but I don't have it for the visual impact but rather to protect my hearing.

I'm hesitant to say that you can get exactly what you want.

My 2 cents for free,
Zeke

Well, Maybe I hold my rifled less tightly than most but I can only see bullet impact, regularly, with my small rifles... like 20 and 22 cal centerfire.

Scope power will come into play. Lower power is easier to see impacts but harder to hit long range targets. Always a trade-off.

I have a super heavy LR 6.5 Creedmoor that's designed for long range gong killing and I can usually see POI with that gun.

I use a suppressor on almost everything but I don't have it for the visual impact but rather to protect my hearing.

I'm hesitant to say that you can get exactly what you want.

My 2 cents for free,
Zeke
It’s nice to dream haha.
Yeah iv only watched bullet impact on a .223 and a .220 swift bench gun. So I might be dreaming haha

I have shot a 257wby for 20yrs. Great gun for deer, but you are limited to 120gr bullets. If you are looking for long distance shooting fast and flat, shoot a 7mm with 150gr bullets. Put a suppressor on, and it will have less recoil than the 25wby. Plus you will have increased the bullet weight by nearly 25%.
I now have a 6.5CM. I call it the old guy precision pea shooter. Fun to shoot. Much less recoil than my 257wby. A good quality bullet makes up "some" difference with slower/smaller caliber rifles. just my .02

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom