264 Winchester Magnum

J

jsalas68

anybody have load data for the 130 grain Barnes triple shock for this caliber

I love the TSX, I've found I can use the same load I use with a regular bullet and the pressure will be about the same, but the velocity will be a little higher. my favorite load for my .264 is 62.5 gr. of H-4831 with a 140 Hornady. If I were you I'd use any 140 gr load and work up from there.

Wish I could help, but I only shoot 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.

I tried to come up with a load for the Barnes XLC, but never found anything that gave me the accuracy I wanted.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-07 AT 01:36PM (MST)[p] I had no luck at all with XLC bullets, the TSX is a fantastic bullet in every way in my opinion. you use 120 ballistic tips ? I use them for pronghorn on long shots, once for deer and that was enough. looked like a ballistic missile more than a ballistic tip hit him.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-07 AT 01:50PM (MST)[p]For my birthday next year, I'm going to order myself a Rifles, Inc. custom job in .264. Not sure which model yet, but I think I'm going to shoot the TSX out of it exclusively.

The BT's are pretty destructive, but I like not having to track wounded game. And I love being able to shoot a 5 shot group where all the holes are nearly touching. What kind of accuracy are you getting from the TSX?

The load I currently use 140 grain xlc ahead imr 65 grain of imr 7828 velocity is 3250fps groups are 1 inch at 100 yards. Sure does knock the hell out of Elk. I was just seeing if anybody had any info on 130 TSX.

The TSX has shot great out of all my guns,1" or less. a few friends say they haven't grouped well for them but that's always the case. I've taken deer, elk and moose with them and had perfect results.

A Rifles Inc gun would be a fantastic choice, Lex does a Great job. I have a LW 70 built by him in 300 win mag and I'm shooting 180 TSX bullets at 3240 fps giving 3/4" groups. It's clear to see you're a 264 fan and so am I, but if you're going to have Lex build you a rifle and you want something like a 264 only a little better give a 270 WBY some thought. he'ld build it with no free bore, it really is a better round when done this way no kidding. a little more bullet weight, a little faster and a MUCH better bullet selection. just something to think about.

Sorry for the late post.I'm loading 67 grns of reloader 25 with the Barnes 130 tsx for 3325 fps and good accuracy.

RS

264, have you ever shot Nosler Accubonds in this gun (I'm not even sure that Nosler makes accubonds in this caliber)? I too have had excellent accuracy with the 120 gr ballistic tip, but I wouldn't shoot anything bigger than a pronghorn or small deer with that bullet.

I'm looking for a new bullet to shoot in my .264, and am also going to be loading up some TSXs. I'd love to know of any other bullets guys have had really good luck with.

I really enjoy this caliber Their are always two sides. The ones that hate this caliber and the other who love it

There's a 130 grain Accubond available, never used it, though. I tried Hornady 129 grain SST's and Interlocks, both of which gave me acceptable accuracy. But I wanted the best groups the gun could do, and I think I got there with the Ballistic tips.

I'm thinking of getting a remington 700 sendero and see how it like the barnes bullets. I have a friend who is going to help me setup a load for this rifle. I still have till december 31 to kill a cow elk so hopefully i will with the new rifle.

I had an early 60's custom shop Remington in .264 slip through my fingers. I was buying it, and a heavy barrel .220 swift pre-64, from a guy going through a divorce. His ex snagged them and pawned them off before I could get them.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-08 AT 12:02PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-08 AT 11:59?AM (MST)

I guess no one really has the answer yet. I too have been looking for load information for the Barnes TSX 130 flat base 264 load question. My early 60's Remington really likes the 140gr Hornaday SST's, but not 140gr Nosler Partitions. I'd like a higher performing bullet than the Hornaday's so I have purchased some Barnes TSX 130's to try, but there does not seem to be much loading information available. I switched powders a few years ago from IMR 4350 to RL 22 and noticed a significant improvement on case neck splitting. The RL 22 seems to be a lot easier on the casings. Barnes shows a min max of 56gr - 61gr of RL 22 for their 130 X bullet, but suggest not using that info on the TSX. Trouble is, they leave you hanging for load data on the TSX's. I have worked up some rounds with the 130 TSX's and RL 22 powder and will test them in the next few weeks. I will report my results when they are known.

I also have a one owner late 50's Winchester model 70 264 that I do not shoot much. It may have 200 -250 rounds pushed through it so the barrel is still in great shape. If my used Remington likes the Barnes, I may try them in the Winchester too.

My 300 WM seems to love the Barnes 180 TSX's with a 100 yd group inside an inch and a 200yd group nearly the same with 73gr of RL 22. Not sure of the fps, but its at or near 3,000. Will certainly put the hurt on an elk out to 300 yds if necessary.

One question I have for other 264 owners. Has anyone resized a 7MM case to fit their 264? They seem to be the same case except for the neck. 7MM vs 6.50MM. True 264 casings are getting harder to find and more expensive.

My two cents
264 X 300

I just bought a pre 64 model 70 Winchester in 264 Mag that is in exceptional condition. I just loaded up some 140 grain SST's and some 130 grain Accubond's. I just got done shooting both tonight and couldn't get the SST's to shoot at all, about 6" group at 100 yards. Was worried about the bore but it looks really good. Then I shot the Accubonds and was amazed at the difference, 1" group two different times. Same powder IMR4831 and same primers with 1/2 grain more in the Accubonds. Are these guns that finnicky on bullets or am I doing something wrong. Of course this is my first load workup and will probably need to play with bullet depth and powder charge to really tune them in. Overall I am quite happy with the gun so far.

I've shot both of my Westerners A LOT and both prefer the 140 Hornady spire point for some reason, great game bullet as well. I have the best luck with H-4831 and fed 215's. as a rule you have to seat the bullets pretty deep , the factory Winchester .264 140 bullets in the day had a dual caliber and thats why they could seat them out so far.

I tried seating the SST's out a little but couldn't because they touched the lands. I wound up seating them to the cannelure and thats where I shot them. I may have to try other powders but I have a lot of IMR 4831 powder because it works so good in my other rifles. Maybe I'll play with the powder charge to see if I can tighten up my group.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-08 AT 05:23PM (MST)[p]264x300 I have also had accuracy problems with 140gr Nosler Partitions.

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they do!

264WM

I switched bullets from Nosler 140s to Hornaday 140gr SST's with RL-22 powder and have a great load for paper. I have worked up some Barnes 130gr flat base TSX rounds, but I have not been able to test them yet.

I did find that seating just off the lands improved accuracy quite a bit, expecially the first shot. I am hoping my Remingtong 264 likes the Barnes since this is my back-up elk rifle. Although any well placed round will take an elk down, I would just feel more confident with a Barnes TSX than a Hornaday SST.

I will keep testing till I find a good match as testing is half the fun.

Once I get the Remington shooting well, I start in on the Winchester.

I am pretty sure I have a perfect match for my Remington 300 WM. 180gr Barnes TSX with 73gr of RL-22 pushing it. I have a four shot group that all touch at 100 yds and three of five shots touch at 200 yds exacty 3 inches lower than at 100 yds.

Good luck to all
264X300

264X300,
Would be willing to share how many grains of RL-22 your are using with the Hornadays?
Thanks bud.

264WM

57.0 is the load. This gave me a sweet group at 100 and at 200. The best that rifle (and shooter) has ever done. Since I picked up the 300 a few years ago I shoot a lot more. After a few rounds from the 300, the 264 does not kick at all. Like swinging a lead bat for practice and then taking a 32oz wood bat to the plate. I am sure this has helped my accuracy as well.

140 Hornaday SST, 57.0 RL-22 and tweeking the OAL has done the trick.

Hope this helps
264X300

Thanks man. I'm going to give it a try.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom