264Mag's 40" ORYX in NM

kilowatt

4477nm40inoryx.jpg

4146waltscoworyxnm.jpg

Great looking ORYX tell us about the hunt Walt.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Afther our Orientation on Friday we were given the green light to hunt. We saw several groups of animals running along the road and saw a few nice looking animals and a few hunters pulling off to the side of the road to shoot.My guide had spotted a group of Oryx about 800yards off the road in a small ravine and we climbed a small hill to get a better look.My guide had a pair of Kowa big eye binoculars they are awesome,saw only a small bull but there were 2 big cows and we were pretty sure the bigger cow was pushing 40".My guide and I got to within 500 yards and my 300 RUM dropped her dead with a single shot.The wind was blowing pretty hard and thought I had compensated enough for drift,but that 180 grain had hit her in the neck,9 months of waiting for this hunt and it was over by 2:00 pm and back to the pickup at 4:30 with my Oryx. I feel very fortunate to have drawn that tag.

When you see one like that, it's time to pull the trigger regardless of whether you're two seconds or two days into your hunt. Very nice.

I was told that my Oryx was number 49 of the 17,500 Oryx taken with 40"or better horns, unbelievable.

Wowser that is a great set.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

A beauty of an Oryx! Congrats good sir and well done. On another note, being that I work on said installation, I'm more than certain there have not been 17500 Oryx taken over 40". Last I saw it was under 1000. In any case, that animal is a monster...so congrats and well done.

Thank's but maybe I misunderstood the Gentleman at the station he told me of the total number of Oryx taken 17,500 there has only been close to only 50 oryx taken with 40" or more horn length,regardless I'm very happy with this Trophy.

No, i told you that. You were not mistaken. This would pretain to on range oryx only. I have never seen any on range data that shows 1000 40 inch animals, it must be a SCI stat.

Congrats what a awesome bull

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

Great Oryx! Welcome to the 40" Club! Is there a way to obtain that list? Would love to know where our 40"er ranks. How big are the bases?

Congratulations on defying the odds twice. The 1st in drawing the tag and the 2nd on the 40 incher. Well done.

264Mag
Sounds like you are in a elite group of hunters, with that monster!
Congrats again!

I'm curious on what the meat taste like?

Thanks Joe

-Joe E Sikora

Thanks Joe, I'm pretty happy with that animal, but it was just a bonus besides being drawn for that hunt, it was a very exciting experience, I'd have say the meat is very mild and is better than beef.

Very cool!

Your friend
Joe

-Joe E Sikora

Damn nice Walt!!

I understand your interest in my 9ft up to 11ft Trophy Room wall heights!!

What a dandy for you

Robb

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom