27" SPIKE

NVMDF

I got out yesterday to a new area looking for elk shed,
found two elk sheds, the first is a 27" spike from last
year and a new 5pt. that had some broken points. Have any
you guys found spike elk sheds that long?

NVMDF

My buddy's dad killed a spike one year that was atleast that big, infact I would guess that it was actually closer to 30 inches. But 27 inches for a spike elk is quite a find.

borntohunt

I haven't found any spike sheds that long, but about ten years ago, I killed a spike bull here in western washington that had 31" spikes.

i picked up a 25" last year. they are pretty neat when they are that long.
AQ.

I know a guy that killed a spike by six point. It was a really nice (330 or so) type of 6 point on one side and the other side was just a big long heavy ivory spike. I am guessing around 40" long? The crazy thing is that the bull was taken in a spike only area. I guess the guy spotted the bull a few weeks previous to the hunt. He re-read the law that states "Spike bull means a bull elk that has at least one antler having no branching above the ears". He then asked the DWR if it would be legal to shoot such an animal. They agreed that it would. He went up opening morning and wacked the sucker. Later that day a few jelous hunters went down and turned him in. I guess the DWR took the rack for a day or so and then later returned it saying that it was legal to shot in a spike only area. He had it mounted. I saw it at the taxidermist and it was pretty neat. If he wouldn't have taken the bull and you were to find that ones spike shed I can guarantee you would have to wonder were the elephant was that lost it. Unbeleivable!

NvrEnuf

I think it was taken in Pole Canyon. I know there are alot of Pole Canyons but I don't want to give up his honey hole. Send me a private e-mail and I will try to be more specific.

NvrEnuf

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom