270 cal

C

chessidawg

Went to the range last week let my wife shoot my 300wsm she wasn't to impressed about the recoil so we kicked it around and decided 270 would be a better caliber for her to shoot and hunt with. I did some research and what I found was 130grain bullet is a good all round one anyone with different opion would like to hear about it she is not a long range shooter 200yds would be max.

270 is great. I bought my wife a 7-08. She is small statue and likes that round.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

270 is a great caliber. What is the intended game? Also I would recommend a good recoil pad. Get her comfortable and she will do fine.

mule deer or whitetail and elk if the opportunity is there this rifle has a recoil pad should I get an aftermarket one?

my wife is a small figure woman and I got her a .270. She shot 160 grain 10 times and said it was enough. she shot 3 times and took a few minutes to check the target and shot 3 more and then just one and she said she was done.. She also shot better than me... but I am putting a limb savers pad on to reduce the recoil

Got my wife a 270 a few years back and she's 5'2" 130#, she'd kill me if she knew I posted that info, but anyway I put a sims pad, boss system, and foam filled the stock after fitting her and this gun has less felt recoil than a 243. Flat shooting, light, and easy for her to handle. Good luck with your choices.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

curious how did you foam fill the stock? and is the boss system a muzzle break?

>curious how did you foam fill
>the stock? and is the
>boss system a muzzle break?
>

Some gun smiths will bore a hole through the stock from the back and fill it with foam

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-13 AT 08:50PM (MST)[p]Boss system is a muzzle brake we can turn off and on. We turn it on at the range and off in the field since typically I am right near her side when setting up on an animal and don't really want the muzzle blast and beside she won't notice the recoil during that time. When I foam filled the stock I did the butt and up into the wrist as there wasn't mush anyplace else I could get any foam into. For the butt I was able to remove the recoil pad and the wrist has a cover which was easy to remove as well. What nfh referenced is another option I have heard done as well with success. The foam just made the stock feel more solid and not resonate as badly after the shot. I have done this to all my hollow synthetic stocks. Good luck!!!

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

From the day I turned 16 until I purchased my 300 WSM (4 years ago) I have used the 130 grain in my 270 on both deer and elk with out any problems. I would say that a good 130 grain bullet for the 270 will work.

Another trick that you can do to reduce perceived recoil is to wear hearing protection. I know it does not actually reduced recoil but everyone I tell to wear hearing protection they swear that the recoil is reduced in half.

400bull

okay thanks always wear hearing protection and 130 was what I was thinking about using thanks for all the info from everyone

It may be assumed, but I'll say it anyway. Be sure to use a decent bullet in 270.
IMO, a ballistic tip 130 GR bullet would be a bad choice for elk. Accubonds or one of the other premium bullets would be fine. You can also load 140 GR at that range w/o sacrificing much.

Ed

If you ain't the lead dog,
the view never changes

yea iam not a big fan of ballistic tip I reload will be using accu bond 130 or serria game kings 130 thanks for the info though

My family has always used 130 grain nosler partitions for everything out of our 270s. We have never lost an animal to my knowledge. I watched my father shoot his Henry Mountains bison with it in 2005 which walked maybe 15 yards and tipped over. Recently I have switched to accubonds which I like just a little bit more.

I have had great results with the 140 Ballistic tip on deer size game. I would recommend it highly.

The 139 gr Hornady Interlock would be a good all around bullet , but for elk I'd use a 150 gr bullet. a 150 Partition would be hard to beat.

A 270 is a minimal gun for elk , at least use a good 150 to make the most of what it's got to offer. not all hits are good hits, and beginners are less likely to make good hits.

Stay thirsty my friends

I have a 12 year old grandson that shoots a 270.I handload a reduced recoil load for him with 130 grain Hornady Inter Locks and H4895 Powder. Works good for him out to 200 yards on whitetails as that is his max range where he hunts.
This load has recoil simular to a 243.
Good Luck.

Dont overlook H4831/4831sc. Very good powder for the 270. Also adding a good recoil pad to the rifle should help a ton. Good luck!

Be careful with reduced loads...If it were me I'd have her shooting something smaller like a 243 even... A 243 is much more accurate and deadly than a bigger rifle with a flinch..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I shoot sierra 110 gr and triple shock 110gr Imr powder at 3300 fps you wont need recoil pad, very flat, I dont use for elk.

>I would stay away from 130
>grain ballistic tips, I have
>had them come apart on
>2 different deer without
>even penetrating.

Define penetrating..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

If your loading ballistic tips make sure your using big game BTs and leep them under 3000 fps. They are an extremely accurate bullet imo. Good luck!

Iam trying ballistic tip 130 grain noslers they are for big game of they don't group wil I Will try accubonds

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-13 AT 07:22PM (MST)[p]I worked up and used a hot, light for caliber, 120gr Nosler B-Tip loading on a buck thru my 280AI, once!

I hadn't lost a buck in a good long time and i haven't lost one since. He was quartering away, i believe the bullet either blew up on contact of rib bone or deflected away to the point of dropping the buck instantly but not causing internal injury because he came to and ran off. Once was enough for me!! Speed isn't everything unless the bullet can perform as needed.

I realize this was a very limited sample but because of what happened on that buck, i don't have much faith with Nosler Ballistic tips, especially the light for caliber ones, on game.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom