.270 loads wifes elk hunt

N

nevadanative

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-08 AT 05:46PM (MST)[p]looking at 130 grand slams loaded hot 3117 fps vs 150 grand slams 2907 fps compressed both end up the same energy at 5oo yards ones flatter the other with good drop out to 250 yards any input would be great

My wife tipped her bull over with a 130 nosler partition. I would suspect the 130 grand slam would give the same result.

Personally I'd go with the 150. My son has taken a few elk with my .280. Both 140 X-bullets and 160 Partitions. They're all dead but I like the heavier bullet.

I don't reload , so I am having to shoot factory loads. I killed my oryx with 150 grain nosler partitions from Federal. One shot and she nose dived to the ground.....270 is an awesome load , and have to agree with above post , for elk I'd really lean towards the heavier bullet.

Having shot both Elk and Moose with a 270, I find a good well built bullet will do the job. I used the 140 Acubond for the moose and my last elk, and on both they expanded and held together like they should. I use the 140's in my rifle because it just don't pattern as well with the 150's. Find what the rifle likes and use it. Just remember the 270 don't have the nock down power of the bigger cal's. Get as close as you can, then put them down.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom