.270 or .30-06 for Moose

MNHunter

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-06 AT 10:16AM (MST)[p]I'm going moose hunting here in MN and don't know which gun to use. I only own the two above. The .270 is new but I have been shooting it a lot and it is my favorite of the 2. I've asked some friends and they say I should borrow a bigger gun from someone else. What do you guys think?

BTW, I'd be shooting 150 grains in the 270 and 180 grains in the 30-06.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

I've never hunted moose , but Jack O'Conner did , all with his .270 . I also own both calibers and love them both , I don't believe there is a critter in the lowere 48 that can't be anchored with either of those calibers. I'd personally choose the 30-06 , but your .270 would drop one just the same . Its all about a good bullet with good shot selection and shot placement.Dead is dead , whether it come by way of 300 mags or a .270. Just my thoughts , I know some people prefer bigger calibers and with good reason , but its hard to argue the 30-06.

Repeating what he said...JOC said, more or less, "A moose is a big animal, and when hit, a moose takes on a moose sized hurt and starts looking for someplace to lay down and die."

That said, an Elk is dif...it starts to want to leave the area, which is why it is the hardest non-dangerous animal to kill in the US. I've shot at just 4 of em, so I'm not a real expert, but everyone of em fell over dead, within a 50-75 yards, when I put a bullet through the lungs.

Both of those will work just fine...the '06 has the edge, but shoot the one that you shoot the best, if that is even, take the 06.

above answers are spot on. no need to buy or borrow a bigger gun,as stated moose go down easier than an elk, and you can normally get with in 100 yards with out a problem! take the one that shoots the best and don't look back!

me ol' man's brother has lived in alaska since '46. he's killed dozens of meese with a pump remington '06. so if an '06 will do it, a .270 will only do it better. just don't use a 7mm/08.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom