.270 Win loads

S

shortnround

I have recently made the decision to start reloading. I spent all day yesterday building my reloading bench. I will be asking for a RCBS Master reloading kit for Christmas. My 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 WSM shoot good groups with Federal factory ammo. But my favorite rifle to carry for deer-a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in .270 Win-does not shoot good groups with either Federal 130gr Sierra boattails, 130gr Nosler BT, or 140gr Nosler Accubonds. I will take some the blame for the rifle not shooting good, but I hope that reloading will help to narrow my groups some. I tend to favor Nosler Accubond & Partition bullets. I looking for any advice that can be given on loads for this rifle or any of the calibers mentioned above. Thanks!

H450 was my favorite powder for the 270, but it is discontinued. I now use H4831, and with the 130 gr, have had excellent results with IMR4320, loaded to about 3000 fps. But overall the 270 does better with the slower burners. I have shot 130 gr. nosler partions most of the time. The Accubond should be as good. Good luck in working up a load.

Thanks for the responses! This is another beginner's question. What are the real differences between IMR 4831 & H4831 powders? These two powders along with the H4831sc seem to be popular choices for the .270 Win.

my 270 loves 62 grs of H1000 130nbt
earnhardt-3-logo.gif

My gun, a Rem 700 from the 70s also preferred IMR 4350.
I tried and tried with 130s and 140s but never could keep five shots inside MOA. Then I tried 150s and bingo, sub MOA all day long.

IMR 4350, IMR 4831, RX 22. If you can beg or borrow a little of the various powders you can get an idea of what the rifle will like before buying a pound. After a while you'll get an inventory to try when working up a new load. Sometimes you bet lucky right away, sometimes it takes several tries before you hit the right powder.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-07 AT 10:11PM (MST)[p]Thanks for all the input! I think I will tinker with IMR 4350 & H4831sc. I did hear (from another thread on this website) that the 300 RUM is the be-all, end-all caliber to have. But since I took a 190+ Bighorn last year with my .270, I would have a hard time getting rid of it.

My 270 really likes Reloader 19 with 140gr accubonds.
It's a weatherby vanguard with wood stock.
I'm getting 1/2 inch groups and couldn't be happier with the way
it shots.

The Weatherby should shoot straight (under 1 moa).

My long time trusted load is a Sierra 130gr SPBT loaded to 3000fps (measured) using IMR4350, Rem Brass, & CCI 200 primers. My 1st 270 was a Rem Model 700. I now have a Tikka T3 Lite in 270, I now shoot H4831 for a change of pace and the rifle does a well with this powder too.

One thing I ran into with the Tikka is that it developes pressure much quicker than the old Model 700. Not sure why this is so, but I am not the least bit surprised that the two rifle a different. The moral to the story - go slowly when developing a load, and never mix brands of brass with the same powder charge.

Good Luck

Don

Do you hate logging? Then try using plastic toilet paper.

Djones,

Thanks for the solid advice! I come from a long line of loggers & paper workers. I worked my way thru college on the paper machines making toilet paper. Love plastic for my indoor plumbing & toilet paper for my personal plumbing!

My .270 showed some promise with RL-22 and 130 Partitions. It shot better at the higher end of the recomended load.

Since you said you wanted to try a load for the 130 gr. Nosler partition. Use 56 grains of IMR 4831, 2990 FPS, overall lenght of 3.33. You can also try 59 grains of H-4831, 2995 FPS, also start with a overall lenght of 3.33 until you can adjust the bullet seat out for the best accuracy in YOUR rifle.
Find the powder and bullet first that gives you your best grouping, keeping in mind that the bullet is suitable for the game you will be hunting, then you start fine tuning everything for the best accuracy with that load in your rifle.
Do not mix up loading data for IMR 4831 with H-4831, there is enought difference in burning rate to cause a high pressure load.

RELH

I tried almost everything I have seen mentioned on this thread, IMR 4895 with a federal 210 primer and 130 sierra gamekings about 3000 fps is what mine likes to eat. It is a Remington Model 700 with 22" barrel. I don't see how the slower burners can be efficient in shorter barrels like most factory 270's.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-07 AT 11:34PM (MST)[p]Completesportsman;

4895 is a good all around powder for alot of calibers in the 30-06 size case. Saying it is more efficent then some of the other slower powders is a mistake.
using the 140 gr. SP for the loads, lets take a look at some tested ballistic loads

42.6 grains 4895 50,600 CUP pressure 2768 FPS
58 grains H4831 50,100 CUP pressure 2888 FPS
52 grains H4350 50,400 CUP pressure 2870 FPS

Both of the slower powders give more then 100 FPS in velocity and at a lower pressure then the 4895 load. Which is more efficent.
Like I said, 4895 is a good all around powder, but there is others out there that will beat it. And if you can get your accuracy out of the 4831 or 4350, you are head of the game. Even the slower powders are fully consumed in a 20 inch barrel.

RELH

Like many other powders, I've found IMR 4831 is one of those powders that rarely lives up to the velocities stated in various loading data. Of course, one must make allowances for barrel length, twist, etc. Even making these allowances I fall short. I've had more success with accuracy using IMR 4831 than any other powder.

With a 22" barrel 57 gr. gave me 2965 fps with 130 gr bullets.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom