270 Winchester energy

huntFX4

So I'm figuring out which grain bullet to use for my son's youth any bull hunt and looking at Remington ballistics. It says the 130 grain bullet has about 1589 ft/lbs at 300 yards and the 150 grain only has about 1310 ft/lbs.

Has any of you heard of that? I've always thought the heavier bullets would hit harder.
Would you go with a 130 or a 150? With that, what factory load brand would you recommend. I usually just go with Remington or Winchester standard.

Thanks

>So I'm figuring out which grain
>bullet to use for my
>son's youth any bull hunt
>and looking at Remington ballistics.
>It says the 130 grain
>bullet has about 1589 ft/lbs
>at 300 yards and the
>150 grain only has about
>1310 ft/lbs.
>
>Has any of you heard of
>that? I've always thought the
>heavier bullets would hit harder.

I'd Say it's Close!

>
>Would you go with a 130
>or a 150? With that,
>what factory load brand would
>you recommend. I usually just
>go with Remington or Winchester
>standard.
>
>Thanks

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

My daughter uses the Barnes 130 grain Vor-TX ammo in her 270. A good tough bullet for elk. The Tipped TSX BT bullet.

Ill be toting the ole m77 the next few weekends for antelope and bear. Shot a half inch group with the ole 130 grain green and yellers this week! Amazing round even in the age of high end projectiles

>Where's uncle sage when we need
>him?
>
>
>#livelikezac

Hey DW!

You'd Offend Uncle Sage with just 270!

Gotta be a 270 WSM!:D

Lots of proven bullets out there. I'd pick the one that shoots the best out of your rifle and not worry much about numbers.

>My daughter uses the Barnes 130
>grain Vor-TX ammo in
>her 270. A good tough
>bullet for elk. The Tipped
>TSX BT bullet.

Check your PM BIGJOHN!

>>My daughter uses the Barnes 130
>>grain Vor-TX ammo in
>>her 270. A good tough
>>bullet for elk. The Tipped
>>TSX BT bullet.
>
>
> Check your PM BIGJOHN!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I know so many people in
>so many places
>They make allot of money but
>they got sad faces
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Got it !

None of the elk I've shot with a 270 and various 130 grain bullets have had a chance to complain.... other family and friends have also had the same results.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I'm in the middle. I load the 140 grain Accubond for my kids .270. Should be easy to find in factory loads as well. mtmuley

For elk I would recommend the 150 grain Nosler Partition. I love a .270 have a couple. Currently have loads of 140 Partitions that one of my rifles likes. One of the best cartridges alive in my opinion.

+1 for the 140 accubond

also look at the Hornady precision hunter factory ammo with the 145 ELD-X bullets. they shoot awesome and have some awesome ballistics.

"Shoot Straight"

140 grain federal premium trophy bonded tip. That is what rolls out of my wife's .270 and it's devastating.

I have been taking many deer and elk over the past 40+ years with the same 270 shooting 130 grain sierra boat tails. They all went down quickly. Its all about shot placement.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-18 AT 10:00AM (MST)[p]Many an elk and oryx have perished and been laid to rest in our freezer from a .277 140 gr AB.

A few elk and oryx have gone by the wayside with a .284 160 gr Partition as well.

E=mc2

Meaning there are 2 factors that go into the energy calculation.

As far as what bullet to shoot +1 on the nab's

I think you mean KE = 1/2mv^2?

If a bullet decreases by 50 fps, it is a 3% change of a multiplier. A 10 gr increase in weight to reflect the velocity is a 6% increase of a multiplier.

For each increase in weight (and corresponding decrease in velocity) there is a 3% increase in energy.

Numbers I used are arbitrary and made up, but fairly realistic just to illustrate a point:

140 gr @ 3,000 fps
150 gr @ 2,950 fps
160 gr @ 2,000 fps

There is a happy balance in speed and weight to give the desired outcome, and that is the maximum effect the hemorragic shockwave delivers on impact.

yup dead on roadrunner.

I didn't mean to suggest that the equation I gave was used to determine KE. Although I do see how reading it does lead you to believe just that. I was simply trying to show there are 2 factors that go into the energy of a bullet.

Your post did a much better job of explaining just that.

As a side note I had never seen the exact breakdown of percentages that it takes to make certain changes. Very interesting.

Thanks!

Same equation really, one just describes the energy an object has as it approaches the speed of light, the other is more relavent to the world we live in.

I use 130 ABs but that load is for everything and its loaded hot. Very happy with accubonds. This is a good application for a stout bullet.

150's for sure for elk. an inexperienced hunter with a light caliber needs every advantage possible for a clean kill.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Ive dropped more than a few elk with 130 and 140 grain rounds out of the old .270 Win

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom