.270 Winchester varmint loads

JadgBob

I want to load up some shells using some Hornady 110 gr. V-Max bullets. Has anyone had experiance/success loading lighter bullets their .270.

I load those bullets in my 270 every once in a while. I get some of the best groups of any bullet out of that gun/bullet combo. there is a noticable reduction in recoil.
I would shoot anything up to a small deer with them, If if had a good broad side shot behind the ribs... I would not recommend them as a first choice hunting bullet, but you can count on all the energy being transfered into what ever they hit.
don't plan on selling any coyote hides, as the off side is pretty well gone.
I think I have used both IMR 4831 and RL 22 for powder. All differenet kinds of cases, and CCI 200 primers. In my gun it doesn't seem to matter they just shoot very good out of it. under an inch on a bad day.

Yes, I used to load 100 grain Speer Hollowpoints in a .270 win using IMR4064. The rifle was a Ruger M77 ultralight. Used to be able to get 5 under .75". Light bullet loads shot very well in that rifle, but 130 to 150 didn't fair so well, so I sold the gun and bought a new 270 for deer and a 22-250 for prarie dogs.

Thanks for your feedback! I'm not worried about the hides. I've had the gun for a year and a half and I want to shoot it alot to get used to it and that coyotes in the field would be good practice.
--Bob

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom