270 wsm 26" barrel load

need4x4

What can you get with good hunting bullet for Mule Deer?

I am thinking of getting a barrel and wonder if it would help to have two additional inches?

I am trying to design a long range rifle without huge recoil or loudness of a muzzle break.

What are you getting as far as FPS with 130 grain bullet like the TSX?

Thank You.

Logan

Depends on what powder as that will affect things. I would figure on another 30-50fps per inch over what people tell you they are getting from shorter barrels. Make sure they are true chronographed speeds not their guesses or what the book or box says it is supposed to go. You are burning enough powder to benefit from a longer barrel. Remember you can not go faster wiithout more recoils. Physics are Physics.

From the research I've seen there isn't quite as big a difference with the longer barrel in these calibers as opposed to a WBY mag where it matters. I'm sure there's some gain but the case and powder capacity was designed to shoot out of a shorter barrel short action and perform accordingly that's why longer bullets seated into the case (taking capacity) don't seem to offer the same ballistics as the bigger cased cartridges shooting the heavier bullets. You may come to a different conclusion to this because articles can be biased.

not using the tsx's you are looking for but I am using the nosler ballistic tip in the 130 gr. The speed is 3065fps with an ES of 14. I use a 24"barrel in a winchester mod 70.

i have a 24 inch barrel and i am using tsx this load is safe IN MY GUN 72 grs H1000 130 TSX mag primer 3250 fps over a pack chrony my gun is a savage model 11 270 wsm
earnhardt-3-logo.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom