270 wsm

B

bhod1

i have a savage 270 wsm model 11 i cannot seem to get it to group very good with factory fusion 150 grain ammo i have also tried factory Winchester 130 gr power core.I might be being a little picky but i think it should shoot a little better than 2 inch groups at a hundred yards. Any one have any ideas different i would apprenticed it.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-15 AT 03:46PM (MST)[p]I think 2" groups are not acceptable so you are justified to try and do a bit better. I take it that you don't reload?

I guess the first thing that i would do is make sure that the gun, barrel, and scope are clean and were assembled properly. Check your stock for any inconsistent pressure points, barrel rubs, or bedding concerns.

Of all the bullets i and the previous owner tried in my 270WSM, it seems to like the regular 140 gr. Accubonds the best. Factory ammo with those pills can get pricy but at 20 deer to the box, very cost effective. :) Good luck!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Federal Fusion and Winchester power core are some of the cheapest , lowest quality projectiles money can buy . If you don't handload , try some high quality premium factory ammo from other manufactures . Most rifles will shoot at least one offering from Nosler , Berger , Sierra , Hornady or Barnes with satisfactory accuracy and great terminal ballistics . Cheap ammo goes bang , and that's about it for the most part . If you want great performance out of your rifle , either buy or handload some great ammo . If you want Walmart performance out of your rifle , keep buying whatever ammo is on sale there .

>i have a savage 270 wsm
>model 11 i cannot seem
>to get it to group
>very good with factory fusion
>150 grain ammo i have
>also tried factory Winchester
>130 gr power core.I might
>be being a little picky
>but i think it should
>shoot a little better than
>2 inch groups at a
>hundred yards. Any one have
>any ideas different i would
>apprenticed it.

Tell us what kind of groups you usually shoot. Darn few rifle can't be made to shoot way better than that.
As you know, the goal for a standard hunting rifle is MOA (approx 1" at 100 yards) or better.

Uncle Sage hit the nail on the head, make sure your stuff is tight where it should be and not where it shouldn't....and if you don't know the difference, have someone do it who knows what they're doing (not your neighbor who shoots once or twice a year and thinks he's an expert). LOL

Good luck to you,
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-15 AT 02:56PM (MST)[p]What scope are you using ? Rings,base's tight? I have a 270WSM and love it.
You may want to take yours to a competent gunsmith and have him go over it ,it should do better than 2 inch groups.

I'm with Sageadvice, although I don't own a 270 WSM my brother does and drills 140grain bullets neatly into MOA groups with his Savage.

2f350s: Spend the money on additional licenses and HUNT more!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom