.28 Nosler?

nontypical

Long Time Member
I've been shooting the 162 gr Hornady Precision Ammo. Well, I was until it can no longer be found for sale. So..I guess I'm going to have to get my lazy butt back to reloading. Anyone have any ideas? I would like to keep the bullet on the light side. Thoughts? Thanks guys

I've been shooting the 162 gr Hornady Precision Ammo. Well, I was until it can no longer be found for sale. So..I guess I'm going to have to get my lazy butt back to reloading. Anyone have any ideas? I would like to keep the bullet on the light side. Thoughts? Thanks guys
I'm in the same boat. Mine loves the Hornady 162 gr factory ammo. I wish Hornady would ramp up their production, but with the new 7 PRC I don't think it will happen. I will just reload with the same bullet when the time comes. Are you able to find bullets where you live? I have been finding them on a regular basis where I live and can pick you some up if needed.

I second the suggestion to consider Hammer bullets. Just last weekend, they introduced a tipped version of their Hunter line for those who really want to stretch things out.

Most folks are done with load development between 10-20 rounds. Terminal performance in my experience has been great.

There's also Cutting Edge bullets, however I do not have any experience with them. I do know that when projectiles were hard to find the last couple of years, both Hammer and Cutting Edge had theirs in stock the entire time.

found 2 boxes on gunbroker but the price isnt pretty

I'm in the same boat. Mine loves the Hornady 162 gr factory ammo. I wish Hornady would ramp up their production, but with the new 7 PRC I don't think it will happen. I will just reload with the same bullet when the time comes. Are you able to find bullets where you live? I have been finding them on a regular basis where I live and can pick you some up if needed.
I haven't seen any around here since after last election day!! Sportsman's Warehouse had 6 boxes one day and I thought to myself I should buy all those. Apparently someone much quicker and smarter than me thought the same thing. They were gone the next day. This is Rock Springs, but Sportsman's Warehouse hasn't shown it online for a couple years either

pm sent

I run 175 Berger Elite Hunters out of my 28 over 80 grains of Retumbo. Shoots flat and kills everything it's shot at very effectively. I probably would have used 195's if my magazine would have allowed it, but after shooting the 175's for a few seasons I love how they perform and plan to stick with that as long as possible.

I run 175 Berger Elite Hunters out of my 28 over 80 grains of Retumbo. Shoots flat and kills everything it's shot at very effectively. I probably would have used 195's if my magazine would have allowed it, but after shooting the 175's for a few seasons I love how they perform and plan to stick with that as long as possible.
That bullet is DEADLY in my 7 mag also.

I have been shooting the 177g Hammer Hunter in my 28. I went with that bullet because I built my 28 as a dedicated elk rifle, and it shoots Hammers into one hole most every time.
After I killed a nice Utah bull with it, my son used it to shoot a 170" Wyoming Bighorn, an 80" Wyoming antelope, and a 200" Colorado mule deer, so now my 28 is more than an elk rifle, (and I think my son also thinks it's his)
If I were starting over, I'd try a lighter bullet like maybe the 155 or 143g HH, but I love Hammer bullets and they are always available.

Hey littlebig!

Sooner Or later It's His!:D

I have been shooting the 177g Hammer Hunter in my 28. I went with that bullet because I built my 28 as a dedicated elk rifle, and it shoots Hammers into one hole most every time.
After I killed a nice Utah bull with it, my son used it to shoot a 170" Wyoming Bighorn, an 80" Wyoming antelope, and a 200" Colorado mule deer, so now my 28 is more than an elk rifle, (and I think my son also thinks it's his)
If I were starting over, I'd try a lighter bullet like maybe the 155 or 143g HH, but I love Hammer bullets and they are always available.

Has anyone tried out the Hornaday 180 ELDM’s in their 28? I picked up a few boxes to try out after a friend who uses them said they shoot lights out. He has taken several animals over the last few years and the results have been impressive.

IMO with the large case capacity of the 28Nos it is best suited for heavy 7mm bullets. 180-195gr bullets is what I load in mine with RL33.
If you are going to shoot a 160gr bullet in the 28Nos I would look at Hammer bullets.
What twist do you have shooting those heavier bullets. I tried heavier bullets, but couldn't get anything to group worth a shite.

US 869 powder and the 162 grain component bullets are available at a couple of the local emporiums. Start there, hopefully you saved your brass. Because that stuff is hard to find.

Has anyone tried out the Hornaday 180 ELDM’s in their 28? I picked up a few boxes to try out after a friend who uses them said they shoot lights out. He has taken several animals over the last few years and the results have been impressive.
That was the first bullet I tried in mine, back in 2017-2018. They did shoot amazing, and they have a crazy high BD. However, I had pretty consistent issues with the 3rd or 4th shot in a string where the bullet would come apart in mid air, never even reaching the target. This became a known issue with that bullet at the time, maybe they've fixed it since the, not sure.

That was the first bullet I tried in mine, back in 2017-2018. They did shoot amazing, and they have a crazy high BD. However, I had pretty consistent issues with the 3rd or 4th shot in a string where the bullet would come apart in mid air, never even reaching the target. This became a known issue with that bullet at the time, maybe they've fixed it since the, not sureI
I’ve done a little research and they changed the polymer tip for more heat resistance. I went out yesterday and so far they shoot really well with 78-79 grains of Retumbo.

I’ve done a little research and they changed the polymer tip for more heat resistance. I went out yesterday and so far they shoot really well with 78-79 grains of Retumbo.
The heat tip thing was years ago. And total BS in my opinion. Glad they shoot fir you. mtmuley

Monos, ah yes, that makes a difference.
It's a bit tough for a lot of shooters to wrap their head around the light, fast mono deal. It was for me. I've always been a bit if a velocity freak though. Hoping to get 3400 out of a 195 grain mono. If not I'll drop down. Maybe even to 168 grain or less. mtmuley

I picked up 500 of the 195 elite hunters and using n570 powder in the STW. So far they have smoked all the deer we have shot out to 700 yards. Deadly accurate to.
Not sure if the Kaibab still has the non-lead ban in place?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom