29/30 October barbary rut hunt

STOMPER

Packed into an area for barbary that never gets pressure and for good reason. Its nasty and remote.

I had heard the rut was in october and was interested to see if there was any truth to this.

Well 4 hours into the hunt i found a group with 47 ewes and 3 rams. One ram i estimated to be 31? or there about. This ram was young and had no mass so i was a little hesitant.

The 2nd ram was a little older with good mass and super wide but no curl and i did not like his length.

The 3rd ram was asleep but had bases bigger than anything ive ever seen. Also he was dark chocolate in color and was a tank of a sheep. I dialed them in at 900 yards and just waited. I didnt want to shoot as i was alone and they were in a hell hole.

I also had my sights set on a 35? sheep. So i decided to look for more. About an hour later i realized how bad i was hurting and how hard a packout would be alone so i returned to the big group.

By this time they had all moved up the hill and were on top where a packout would be all down hill. In addition, the tank was now standing and oh man was he a monster. I can honestly say hes the biggest bodied sheep ive ever seen. When he stood next to the 31?ish he dwarfed him everywhere except length. I wasnt concerned and decided to setup for a shot.

I moved to the nearest available point and setup to discover they were only 600 yards. I took my time setting up the 338 lapua. I took no time relocating the chocolate titan in my scope. He turned broad side and the 250 gr hollow point took out his entire right shoulder.

Upon examination he had 13 years of rings, 13? bases and 30? horns. I was expecting 28? horns so i was really shocked. I guess the younger sheep was over 32? but i would have still shot the same one. Besides now the younger ones can have some ewes as the big guy was breeding them all and not sharing lol.

All i can say is wow. The oct hunt is amazing.

542270ac6536cc623407488d107d40b2a4d9b.jpeg

When u get time fill us in on the shot "only 600 yds", that's awesome! Rifle ? Those animals are tough beast to break his shoulder down at that range that's some dang good shooting! Hats off to you !

>When u get time fill us
>in on the shot "only
>600 yds", that's awesome! Rifle
>? Those animals are tough
>beast to break his shoulder
>down at that range that's
>some dang good shooting! Hats
>off to you !

Some advice. Dont make his head swell. He gets unmanageable.

Got the message on the head swell.
The rifle looked like a Fierce
I've killed antelope out to 500 with the dial in equipment its amazing to shoot the rifle look up from your scope and have time to watch the animal take the bullet, kind of like a delayed reaction.
Modern shooting technology is a blessing and a curse depending which side of the rifle your on....anyways, its a hell of shot in that rough country he was in.

>Got the message on the head
>swell.
>The rifle looked like a Fierce
>
>I've killed antelope out to 500
>with the dial in equipment
>its amazing to shoot the

Thanks for being a good sport. Just for history, this Stomper guy was the worse trouble maker on MonsterMuleys for a long time. He seems to have matured a little, but, with any encouragement, he will be causing trouble again. And, I am embarrassed to say he is a friend of mine.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-19 AT 09:13PM (MST)[p]I would dare say i consider paul to be a dear friend.

The rifle is a sako trg 42 in 338 lapua mag with a 5.5-24x56 nightforce nxs on top. It shoots 4? groups at 1000 yards and if theres no wind and the mirage looks good in the scope i can do consistent 1 shot kills on barbary at 1200.

Ive had that exact setup over 12 years now. I custom built the drop chart. The bullet is a 250gr scenar bthp at 2980 fps out of the barrell. Ive taken out entire elk shoulders at 1400 yards in the grand canyon area as well. Its just an amazing setup.

No worries about me acting up any more paul. I work for the government and had to signed away my privacy to get the job i have. I guess the fbi and a few other agencies watch me now. So lets just say i have to be very careful what i say. So were all good :)

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom