2B 2nd rifle

Eastwood

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-11 AT 08:25AM (MST)[p]That's what I drew this time. I was there last year on the muzzle loader hunt from sept. 24-30. We saw lots of does and few bucks. I'm familiar with the carson south of 64 just not so much north of it. The harvest data hasn't been released yet, so does any one have any reports from last year? I know snow in Colorado is what you want, but do the deer start migrating any way that time of year? When does the rut normally start?

Usually this hunt is right before the rut and the big bucks are still running together but they are not as far from the does as earlier in the muzzy hunts. My wife also drew this tag so good luck and maybe we'll see you out there

Eastwood I drew this same tag about 5 years ago and it was hot and dry and there was no snow in Colorado yet. We seen a lot of does and a few small bucks but never seen a good buck. Hope for snow and hunt towards the Colorado boarder.

Thanks for the info, maybe we will see some you there. We will probably camp in the Carson north of 64, which is uncharted territory for me. There's a lot of land up there, there must be some good camping spots. Good luck, ya'll.

Eastwood,

Lived there for 18 yrs or so. You've drawn a good tag...but it all really depends on the weather in CO. Hope for snow and cold. If it's not cold in CO, you'll be hunting the resident herd more or less. Most of those deer won't come down until snow hits the ground up north. On those earlier hunts, we always had much better luck closer to the CO line. If by chance it isn't cold, hunt the high benches, spend a good deal of time behind your optics, and get away from the roads (although in 2B that is tough to do) and you'll be fine. If it's cold and snowing...well....just be patient because you'll get a shot at a dandy! Congrats on the tag and good luck!

Sportsman hit it on the head. Last year on the second hunt there wasn't a ton of weather up North by that time, but they were just starting to move down. Make sure and hunt everyday with that tag and you wont be disappointed, but don't expect to be able go out there and shoot a monster in one morning just because its 2B. Resident herd is tough to hunt so do your scouting early and often if its still hot. Have fun, I am jealous of you!

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Yeah, last year we had a full moon during our entire hunt. This year it will be a new moon, hopefully that will help. Last year the deer only moved at night or right after sunrise and right before sunset.

Piss poor last year for the 2nd rifle tag. Hunted from daylight until dark the entire season all over the unit, and never saw a buck close to what I was hoping for. Heard it was quite different the year before though. Best of luck.

As others have said, it's a migration hunt and very dependant on weather. I had this tag in 2009. I showed up four days early to scout a number of areas and was very disappointed during the first two days and it was not from lack of getting off trail and glassing. The first day we only saw a few forkys, second day we saw 6-10 forkys, third day we finally saw a 4x4 but small, fourth day we saw a number of 4x's and it just kept getting better and better. Out of nine days being there the last two days were the best and it only got better from what I understand. There was no comparison from our first day to last day in the unit.

Be patient and don't settle. Every day get's better. The migration happens pretty fast once started at least in my experience. Good luck!

Also, I remember it was much more difficult to glass than what I was hoping for because of the scrub oak.

Last year we had the last hunt with two tags and hunted hard every day and never say a big buck. With one tag on the second to the last day we took a meat buck(Small 3x3 but with a big body). But never saw a live 5x5 or heavy 4x4 during that hunt. After holding out for a Big Buck on the 2nd tag we landed up eating the tag but that was by choice we already had a Deer for meat in the freezer and elk meat also. The number of hunters for the area and the crazy truck drivers on the oil and gas trucks seemed to be the biggest problem. They were running pipe line in a area we had been seeing a huge 5x5 during our scout trip the week before and I know it was one of those resident deer my buddy had seen it on the muzzle hunt and it was in a area I have never seen anyone ever walk just truck hunt. Anyways good luck and cold weather.

Hunt the border of the Jicarilla Rez the sometimes cross back and forth, look for water tanks on the 2B side and see if any of them are watering on that side of the line. Saw one outfitter & clients that sat those tanks for the whole season with both hunters, never heard if they got anything.
Great Tag BUT there isn't a big buck behind every tree you will have to earn him and get lucky and kill him.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Thanks for the advice. We are excited about this hunt because the is the first time we will be using our rifles in New Mexico. We have been hunting there for over ten years with our muzzle loaders and the results have been spotty. I'm looking forward to colder weather that will feel more like deer season to me.

Wow, that is a big change. Did the hunting get better or worse after the temp drop? I know when it get's windy and cold whitetails usually bed up for a while and don't move.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom