2B Archery Up Next

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
1000 miles trek to 2B to start off the new year. We are pulling a trailer. Any recommendations on where to camp? I thought I heard there was like a State Park at a lake or similar. Plan on bringing back lots of film of mule bucks! Know I just need the weather gods to cooperate.

I hunted there in 08' and they were open in January. If I remember right I couldn't get ahold of them on the phone but the spots were open. Good luck!

There is a marina but I think it's closed that time of year. Take some cans. There was a station not far towards Bloomfield maybe 15 miles? It's been a while

The Simms Mesa Campground would be the one to stay at. I'm pretty positive they are open year around and they do have electric sites. There phone number to Navajo state park is 1-505-622-2278. For gas you can to Bloomfield or to dulce for gas they are about the same distances.

Thank you for the number and the info. Looks like a solid option. I'll give them a call. Have far of a drive is Bloomfield or Dulce?

I have a friend who wade the river from the Colorado side and did really good up around the oilfield bridge area, Just west of the Rez boundary line, that bridge is closed to all trucks traffic that isn't oilfield trucks.
You might check it out. Good luck.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Just to help you avoid any trouble, the bridge gator is speaking of is not closed to traffic at all. However, once you cross it there is no access to the public lands it is blocked by several pieces of private both in Colorado and New Mexico. Clearly posted as such and has locked gates as well. If you go to the state land office website, you can download an overlay for google earth that has the land status for the Carson Natl Forest, most people don't realize there is private up there but there is.

Also, I hate to assume things but Gator, but if your friend was wading the river it is very likely he was either crossing Southern Ute land or Private. I am not aware of any public land in Colorado where you are speaking about. Utehunter could chime in as he knows that portion of Colorado really well. Again, not accusing anything, just raising the point.

In addition to Bloomfield and Dulce, there is gas below the Dam at Abes. Depending on where you are at the time, you could be closer to Bloomfield, Dulce, or Abe's. It's a big unit. Good luck on the hunt, you will see a lot of bucks no doubt! Surprisingly tough hunt though even with the number of bucks.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

I spoke incorrectly, Blanco is closer than Bloomfield. Small community east of Bloomfield and I am 95% sure they have fuel there at the convenient store. They most certainly have beer :)

Seconding what TerynItUp said, that bridge is Private and all the land on either side of the river is either reservation or private. You can also get on the BLM's website and get 100K maps. You want to look at the Navajo Reservoir map. I've been seeing some nice deer start to move into the Carson. Good luck!!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-14 AT 11:44AM (MST)[p]If I remember correctly it is 27 miles to Bloomfield and 23 miles to dulce from Simms campgrounds. Good luck on your hunt keep us post on how it goes.

Depending on where you are hunting, there are two "national" campgrounds both north and south of 64. The reason I say "national" is because they are not really like the Simms Mesa campground. I think the one north of 64 is called like pines campground or something like that. It is about 12 miles on 310 I believe (don't quote me on that). There is also another called Cedar Springs I think, that one is south of 64. You will see them if you have a map. Getting a fifth wheel there is probably not ideal, but anything smaller shouldn't be an issue.

The campgrounds are pretty open and fairly large. We liked them when we scouted them, but we had a fifth wheel so we didn't chance it. Simms is a great place, but the travel is ridiculous to get to any hunting spot within the national forest. Or even Rosa Road. It is at least an hour drive either way. And not to mention rough, very rough.

If that is your thing though go for it. You can always just find a place to pull off. I know BLM officials don't really like that, but what they don't know wont hurt haha.

Good luck with the hunt. Any more questions let me know and I will help out the best I can.

He didn't tell me if he crossed any private to get where he was.
I know that he told me he hunted just west of that private land on the NM side that runs for 2 miles from the bridge.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Didn't realize Simms was that far. My sources was telling me 30 minutes commute daily which is doable. I'll look into the other options and their proximity. Thanks 505.

Anyone with some legit tactics or ideas that have worked on this hunt let me hear. Pm or email. Gator thanks again for the creative ideas.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-14 AT 08:09AM (MST)[p]No problem. Yeah, don't underestimate the time. Simms is a good campground and neat little spot. But like I said, it was taking us about an hour and a half or longer to get from there to Caracas Mesa. And about an hour to get to Rosa Road or 310 (I think that is the road north of 64 right as your coming out of the west from the Reservation). And just to mention, those campgrounds are primitive. Bring what you got and lots of it.

And it's not like the roads are paved freeways either. Rosa Road is still a rough son of a gun. So zooming over them isn't an option, unless you want truck problems.

A lot of people camp north of 64. They usually find spots to pull off and set up. Like I said, those campgrounds are neat spots. Especially that one north of 64. It is pretty much half way between the CO border of carcass and the highway. So it puts you just above Cabresto and Bancos and just below Caracass. But the only down fall is getting a big trailer rig up there. Small is doable.

Any other questions let me know.

Also, I am not to sure how the weather is up there during that time, but might consider tenting as well. Those campgrounds are perfect for tents, not to mention you increase your options on where to setup camp. But if it is snowing and unbelievably cold, i'll let you take that call. ;)

Gator, like I said, Ute is probably the best one to talk to in order to know for sure, but as far as I know there is zero access to 2B East of the lake coming in from Colorado, unless permission is granted by a LO or crossing the reservation.

That country you speak of is absolutely accessible but it has to be done from the South (parking at locked gates and hoofing it), and that makes for quite the trek, about 20 or so miles on rough roads and then a few more on foot behind the gates.

Again, I could very well be wrong but I am pretty sure all access from Colorado has to be done through private, unless you're hunting Middle Mesa.

As far as tactics, I am not sure. I have never been able to seal the deal on January bow hunt. I think a large amount of deer start filtering back into Colorado from Caracas to spend the winter down in the river valley so it may be fruitful to hunt the state line up above the San Juan and catch some deer moving down to it. Some good fresh snow would be helpful as the toughest part is getting in range without getting busted by the ladies.

Good luck and keep us posted.

The last few years it's been patchy crunchy snow.What we try and do is glass some up and stick with them till mid day when the ground gets a little softer to put on a stalk.Good luck and let us know how your hunt turns out.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom