2B Expectations (late hunt)

PJHntr

I've tagged along on a few hunts in 2b from the early hunt to the late hunt. Thus far I haven't run into any monsters. I drew the late hunt this year and wanted to hear from others that know country what a realistic expectation would be. Should I drop the hammer on the first 170 class buck I see or is it possible to hold off for something close to the 190 range. Thanks.

it is hard to pass on a 170+ buck anywhere. with that being said I would hold out for something bigger

had the muzzleloader hunt last year and saw plenty of good bucks,160-180. also saw 3 bucks pushin 190+ I'd hold out for a few days.Good luck stay low".

TB1,

By low do you mean the Gassbuggy area or just off the Mesa like Bancos? I'm not familiar with the southern end of the unit but I keep hearing that the deer numbers are lower but the chances for a monster are a little bit better. It's just so damn thick down there too. What area were you guys in last year? Thanks.

I camend you if you can hold out for a 190 inch deer. Even in unit 2 thats a monster buck and more than likely you will be going home never even seeing one. 170 is very good , but if you already have bucks of this size , than I understand passing on them. PHEWWW HOLDING OUT FOR 190 !!!

Your right NUTT! And I have the ichiest trigger finger ever. 170 is big especially when their on the hoof and you have a tag! I just don't really believe there are that many 190+ bucks out in unit 2. Peaple seem to trow arround 190 and 200 like it's nothin'. I was just wondering how do-able 190 is in 2b from people like yourself that seem to be really familiar with the unit.

PJ, I agree with NUTT that it really depends on if you have a couple of 170 class bucks hanging or not. I'm probably one of those guys you're talking about "throwing around 190 and 200 like it's nothin".

I've had the good fortune of hunting 2B my whole life. Back in the day we killed the first legal buck we saw and still brought home a few 190 class bucks throughout the family. I killed a 193net typical when I was 14 and didn't have the slightest clue how rare a buck like that is to come by. I've killed a double handfull of bucks from the low 170s to the high 180s over the years out of 2B and some of them ended up nailed to the outside of the barn.

Now in my old age and wisdom, (and treating every 2B tag as if it's probably my last) I resolve to hold out for one of the 200inch PIGS i've regularly seen throughout the years up there. I can't seem to hold myself to it, but shooting 175 to 185 bucks as consolation prizes is pretty doggone cool stuff too.

I guess my point is there is no place where 190 bucks hide behind every tree, but do allow yourself to trust that you'll be hunting in a place where your quite likley to shoot the biggest buck of your life, and then shoot the first buck you just can't pass up.

timberlinebanner2.jpg

http://www.naweoa.org/mod.php?mod=userpage&page_id=15&menu=1500

Just like last year it's 200 inches or better. I will probably go empty handed again!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom