2B

chewyman55

Greetings. Im a Wyo resident who put in for 2B muleys. It's my first time in the running. I went with the 10/29 start time. I'm just curious as to what a realistic goal should be if a guy draws that tag and busts his rear with boots on the ground? Is the hunt strictly weather related or are there some big local bucks? What constitutes a big 2B buck? 180's? 190's+? Thanks in advance!

Being from Wyoming you are going to be disappointed. Your average unit is better than NM's best. There are some nice deer, but they are far and few between. My advise is to pull your deer app and put in for Gila elk, oryx, ibex, or Barbary. If you want help on Barbary let me know. I can put you on Barbary no problem. Seriously skip the deer. You will be disappointed if you draw. The Barbary would be a much more fun hunt.

Not even worth applying in NM if you are looking for those kind of bucks, unless you go with a top outfitter or have some really good intel.

2B you are hoping to shoot CO buck that migrates into the unit for the most part. There are a few local whoppers, but, very few.

The worse units in CO are better than the best units in NM.

NMGF dumps way to many tags into units for consistent trophy potential.

Thanks for the input. I had read similar opinions on the current state of affairs...I guess I was in muley denial. I've been wanting to branch out to NM for deer but maybe now isn't the time, especially since there's no bonus points to accumulate. I've never thought about Barbary but maybe it's a good time to start! Thanks

I agree 100% with what was said earlier, all true. However, it is only true if you are strictly after a 180"+ deer. While 180"* bucks are there, they are soooo hard to find, especially if you don't spend a ton of time in the unit.

That being said, if you are just in for the experience and enjoy seeing 100 deer a day, the 2B hunts after the migration are perfect. Literally 100's of deer everyday but almost all does, fawns, and small bucks. I think an average buck in this unit would be 130-150". Our group has never been skunked in 2B and in 2010 we killed a 196". We got lucky though in 2010. Just happened to stumble across a giant.

I put in every year for 2C and 2B.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

As was stated above, if you draw 2b, you're actually hoping for a blizzard in CO that will push the big boys in to NM. Depends on the year on whether those circumstances play out, but we haven't had a lot of that kind of weather in recent years.

Coming from WY, you should probably focus on our free range exotics (oryx, barbary, and ibex), and possibly elk. Those are some great hunts that would be worth your investment.

Chewyman55,

Not sure what all these guys are talking about...there are no exotics left in this state. Barbary are a myth, Oryx and Ibex are gone and the deer population in 2B is in fantastic shape! 180" deer around every bend! Stay up there and don't waste time down here chasing phantoms....Ha Ha!

Ha ha! Good luck with 2B. It can be done. Just plan on spending lot's of time at it.

Haha I wondered if you guys were just making it all up! You've got a good scheme going here.

The older I've gotten, the more I realize all that I want to chase are muleys and the occasional bear. Those phantom unicorns and such are probably safe from this guy! Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

The 2 times I have been there, (once hunting 7 days)( once scouting 5 days) I HAVE seen a Book buck each time and they wasn't the same buck, Now killing them was a different animal.Great place to hunt, I like the late hunt better then a early hunt. Snow would be a big help that a given, BUT then the closed roads are a help too. You can get a long ways from the road hunting crowd. Lots of wild horses in that unit.
I wouldn't pull my app.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Being born and raised in Farmington, all of Unit 2 is my backyard. 2B is tough if there is no weather, like said before, with weather you are counting on hunting Southern Ute Bucks from Colorado. The big resident bucks in 2B are more in the southern part of the unit, bordering 2C. I suggest 2C, there are a TON of resident slobs in that unit. I've seen them myself, several. NO WEATHER REQUIRED. I knew the location of at least 5 bucks that would break 200" last year in 2C. One of them was harvested on New Year's Eve and was the Enhancement tag holder. 270 something odd inches.

>Being born and raised in Farmington,
>all of Unit 2 is
>my backyard. 2B is tough
>if there is no weather,
>like said before, with weather
>you are counting on hunting
>Southern Ute Bucks from Colorado.
>The big resident bucks in
>2B are more in the
>southern part of the unit,
>bordering 2C. I suggest 2C,
>there are a TON of
>resident slobs in that unit.
>I've seen them myself, several.
>NO WEATHER REQUIRED. I knew
>the location of at least
>5 bucks that would break
>200" last year in 2C.
>One of them was harvested
>on New Year's Eve and
>was the Enhancement tag holder.
>270 something odd inches.

By big resident 2B bucks, that would be in the 180" range. If I held a 2B tag, my hold out size would be 165" plus and he takes a dirt nap...

A big buck in NM used to be off the charts,years ago.
NM used be THE best mule deer state,IMHO.
Years ago.

Yeah there are a few around still,but the overall number of deer is WAY down, as is size/quality.
The exception is the Jic. Just good management.
If I was in WY, that would be the only deer tag in NM I might covet, outside of a Coues tag.
Now if you asked about elk,wild exotics,Coues and maybe even antelope.
NM ,no ?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom