2C Mule Deer Rifle

Cozmo8

Just drew this with a friend. He knows about the unit I know very little. Tough draw, few tags, November dates. Anybody out there willing to give ANY info. I realize the deer will be moving in Nov during the hunt but I think I will still go scout at least once.

This area is not predominantly migratory but resident deer. There is not much "moving in" that happens in this unit...Unit 2B maybe, but not here. Great quality deer, low quantity. If you see 5 deer in a day one is bound to be a good quality buck.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I worded that poorly. I meant to say that the deer in August or September may not be in the same place as in November during the hunt. So scouting may not be a huge advantage. I did not mean to imply that there would be deer "moving in".

It dosnt get any better. Make the best of the tag, and dont be fooled those huge bucks are not all migratory.

Mike

Well first, congrats on the tag! If you haven't already you need to go buy a lottery ticket. I think your odds of winning the lotto are about as good as drawing that tag.

Lived in Farmington for quite a while....2C is a great unit. Not as many deer as 2b, but still good numbers and there are GIANT bucks. Plenty of 150-160 class and seems to hold 180-190 class bucks consistently. I've known only two people with this tag, both came out with bucks right at 190. Be patient, and you'll be fine. Had good success seeing animals in that unit by starting at the turn in Lybrook and heading North.
Bring chains, bring chains, and oh yeah, bring chains!
Good luck, congrats again, and post pics!

Good Hunting!

Oh, I forgot to mention a few things. That area has lot's of high benches and plateau's that hold bucks and also provide great vantage points for glassing. Usually see more deer that way than anything else. Get up on one of those benches, glass, glass, glass, and then head to the next. And keep your eye out for sheds (when you're scouting of course), some of those benches seem to be full of em. There's nothing like finding a whopper shed (which you will in that unit) from this years drop...while you're scouting to hunt the same place in a few months. Awesome!

Again good luck and post pics.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom