2nd bear tag?

cache

Hi guys, long time spring bear hunter here but have been unable to make it out the last 3 years. Quick question can some one please explain the 2nd bear permit rule for me. The unit I like to hunt says I can use a 2nd bear permit in the most recent proclamation. Trying to make it out again this May and want to make sure I have my bases covered.

There isn't really a second bear permit "rule". There are several areas with high bear populations where you are allowed to kill two bears by buying 2 tags. As a non-resident you would buy your first bear tag at $186 and a second at $31.75. In some areas the price of a first tag is only $31.75 Those are the "Reduced Bear Tag" areas listed on page 87 of the Regulations.

From page 87:
Nonresident Reduced Bear and Mountain Lion Tags
In the Lolo, Selway, or Middle Fork Zone units (Units 10, 12,
16A, 17, 19, 20, 20A, 26, and 27), and in that portion of Unit
16 north of the Selway River, nonresidents may use reduced
bear or reduced mountain lion tags, available at the discounted
price of $31.75. Reduced bear and reduced mountain lion tags
are valid only in these units. To hunt bears and lions in any
other unit, hunters must purchase a regular bear or lion tag at
the regular price.

The unit is not listed as a reduced tag I've had a reduced tag so I understand how those work. My question is it says a second tag may be used this year for 31.75 so this is new to me for this unit. I'm assuming that means I need to purchase my original tag at full price then can purchase another tag for the discounted amount. I've been wondering also about the rule that says you can use your deer tag on a bear in the appropriate season. Does this have any thing to do with a second tag.

Thanks for the help guys!

Yes buy four first tag at $186 and then you buy the 2nd tag at $31.75. The 2nd bear tag is unrelated to the non-res deer tag.

The deer tag can be used on a bear only when the seasons occur simultaneously. See below from Regulation booklet, pg 86:

Nonresident Deer, Elk Tag for Bear, Mountain Lion or
Gray Wolf
Nonresident deer and elk tags, excluding Nonresident
Junior Mentored deer or elk tags, are valid to take a black
bear, mountain lion or gray wolf, if a season is open for that
species, instead of a deer or elk where and when the deer
or elk tag is valid, and there is an open deer or elk season
in that same unit. Hunters may buy other bear, lion or wolf
tags, but after the deer or elk tag is used to harvest a deer,
elk, black bear, mountain lion, or gray wolf, a second deer or
elk tag may not be purchased ? except by buying a leftover
nonresident deer or elk tag when available.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom