2nd Season Bucks...How High?

Josey_Wales

What elevations do you typically find the bucks during the 2nd season in the units with high country? Of course I know that they are where you find them, and that some will always be down low, and that it is very weather dependent...but I'm wondering specifically about above timberline bucks. How far down do you typically find them in the 2nd season?

Thanks...

not in the high country, they will have long moved below the treeline by 2nd season. Granted there will always be the one exception...
any more detail than that vary's with location and weater.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I try to stick to 8K-10K during 2nd season. Even if I go up over 10K, the purpose is to get a bird's-eye view of some deep canyons or see across into bowls.

I've hunted elk in the flattops at 9000 to 10550 ft. and seen no deer that high. It could be different in other areas.

I would look in the transitiozones of aspen and timber. Usually that's 7500 to 9000 feet. Depends on the weather. Doesn't take much snow to push the deer down. Good luck.

Snow is not the only factor. Once killer frosts hit the high country, they go lower for better food.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

This is a tough one as it changes from unit to unit and year to year.

I've seen big bucks up at over 11,000 feet during the 2nd season in a foot of snow. This is the exception, but I have seen many in the 10,000 foot range during 3rd season in a foot of snow as well. More than a foot of snow and the big guys are coming down to join the smaller bucks and does that had already migrated.

This buck was taken on opening day of 2nd season 2011. Just over 10k ft. No he is not a forkenhorn....he rolled down a steep hill and broke his back tines off.

7771rsz_wyoming_2011_135.jpg

Awesome buck! looks like that dude took a NASTY fall. Were you able to find the broken tines?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-12 AT 08:30PM (MST)[p]this one fell at 9800, late in second season 2011. Not a whole lot to him, but old and wide.

Pam_cam_COLORADO062.jpg

The above post was written with all due respect....

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-12 AT 09:27PM (MST)[p]Yes. Found both the back forks intact. The rack is at the taxidermist now getting repaired. Another pic of the damage...

7760wyoming_2011_145.jpg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom