2nd Season Elk

COBOHNTR09

Just curious on what you all think will be the highlight of this season. I've heard it will be an early rutt because of the weather and other seem to think it will be heavy through Arch/Rif/Muzz. With plans on a 2nd season hunt what are some of your thoughts? Will the Buls still be screaming?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-11 AT 06:17PM (MST)[p]Probably not screamin, by 2nd season they have been chased by archery, muzzy and the 1st season crowd. Pray for weather is about all you can do. If you are on a over the counter tag which is what I assume the elk have been schooled on every call on the market.
Rick

You could hear some bugles, but my experience has been that bulls are headed into their "holes" to recover from the rut. They can be hard to find during this time. Glass "edge country" morning and night and hunt those north facing timbered ridges for bedded bulls during the day. Find these spots in more remote areas near water and you may have some luck. Of course, in an OTC, you may see elk running for their lives as well . . .

Most bulls are tight lipped as can be by the time 2nd rifle season runs around.... Most have already been shot at, called at, chased and anything else a guy can try to do to kill one. I've typically experienced a little rutting/bugling activity the first day or two of first rifle season and after the first couple shots they go quiet. Bulls in the NW corner for ex. 2,10 and 201 will typically talk through october due to less pressure.
Coloradoboy

I've heard bulls bugling several times in heavily hunted OTC units. They were always in some deep dark nasty canyon were no one in there right mind would go. Not really bugling like they were in peak rut but just a couple times just to let you know they were down there. BTW im not really right in the mind so i have went down there and killed a couple. Said i would never do it again until the next when once again they are down there again........

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom