30-06 Accubonds & Elk

dang302

Just thought I would share. Last weekend I helped a buddy get an elk and he made a great broadside 200 yard shot from tripod shooting sticks.

Factory loaded 30-06 with 180 grain Nosler Accubonds. He broke the onside shoulder and the bullet exitted behind the offside shoulder. The bull stumbled and looked hit well, went about twenty yards, stumbled again just as he went out of sight over a rise. We found him about 30 yards on the other side of the rise. He Went about 50 yards total. I didn't look very hard, but I found no blood on the ground until the spot where he fell. Entrance and exit wounds were bullet sized. I am happy with the results and I don't see any of this as a negative, but some might. I think you need a tough bullet for elk and this definately acted like a tough bullet.

We lost some meat on the onside shoulder due to damage.

Just thought I would put this up cause it seems that people occasionally ask about certain bullets/loads in regards to game etc., and this first hand experience is the only way to know.

Dang, Thanks for posting up your findings. I think most on here by now figure that the Accubond is a fairly tough bullet well suited for Elk hunting but it sure doesn't hurt to get the word out even more.

I think the problem out there is that there are several other popular bullets being used for Elk that won't do near the job that your Accubond did. That some here too, also believe their Ballistic tips, boat tails, and soft points,.. will do the same job and will continue to use these lesser built bullets until they lose a animal because the bullet couldn't/didn't bust thru that front shoulder bone, get into and beyond the vitals.

Yes, there are other great bullets for that job but I'm sold on Accubonds! My 5-6 kills with them have been nothing short of what i consider ideal.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Yep, the Accubond is tough to beat. I used a different bullet on my antelope hunt last week, and while I hate to judge a bullet with one experience, I won't be using them again. I've yet to find a situation the Accubond can't handle. mtmuley

Dog, good Question. You been using them "Boogers" and some other very high BC bullets for awhile now. What's your findings with them? In your opinion, are they stout enough to smash through a Elk's front leg or shoulder joint bone and have enough left to do major internal damage?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

REDDOG, With the yardages varying so much in most of my hunting, the Berger isn't gonna be my bullet of choice. 75 yards and a goat ain't a good deal, but I hadn't planned on it either. The short yargage just happened. I have some doe tags where I can stretch things a bit, so I'll probably use them for that. BUT I also have a killer 168 grain BT load for the ol '06 too. The 200 grain Accubond in my RUM is an elk killing SOB and has proven itself for about 10 years. Can't ignore the accuracy of them Bergers altogether. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-12 AT 07:09PM (MST)[p]Sage, as mtmuley alluded to it really depends on impact velocity. I'll try to answer as plain as I can.Alltho there are many that claim/trust them to punch thru shoulders (on big critters such as elk), I do not, especially at impact velocitys over 2600 fps, this is not a guess as i've seen them fail to do so.

They do however do what they are advertised to do..They penetrate a few inches before expanding (coming unglued would be a better way to put it).Now, this is good and bad, I'd trust them to punch thru some bone, but not heavy bone..not with any consitency anyway..And afer they do start to expand, if the velocity was still high, they will damn near destory game the size of pronghorn if they exit.

For me they are too much of a wild card in high velocity carts, I will use them in some carts for hunting, but wont use them on game bigger than deer.

Lots of guys use them without issue, and i've seen them at their best and worst..I simplify when it comes to hunting and pick a bullet I dont have to wonder about, will take any shot angle with and has a nice BC..I've always loved barnes for killing. Accubonds,scirocco's etc are all killing bullets to, IMO.

Good hell that was long! Really this chit aint that difficult (killing game)..just my thoughts

And you warned me about the close range/high velocity impact. I'm not done with the "boogers" entirely, just a bit more educated. mtmuley

Give these a try in the big 30's..Awesome! With these the big 30's hang right there with the big 338's.10 twist spins them just fine.

20121019_160121.jpg

I have to agree with Reddog on this one. I have shot a number of animals with the VLD Hunting bullet in 243AI 95gr, 270WSM 150gr and 7mm Rem 168gr. The bullet did exactly as advertised. The accuracy of these bullets is pretty amazing but I doubt I will use them on an elk hunt. I also love the accubonds and would lean that way for anything larger.

REDDOG- Have you seen the new Hybrid Hunting VLD? The 338cal are available and the 30cal should be soon. There are 2 different types. The classic and the Elite. Can't wait to see what they will do.

REDDOGS advice about picking a bullet that you don't need to worry about is why I use the Accubond for hunting I guess. What I NEED is another rifle or two to play with all these bullets and give my hunting rifle a rest. Dog, you ever give any GS's a whirl? mtmuley

805, I havent shot any 300 grain hunting VLD'S yet..my last loads for the 338 were with berger 300 grain OTM's, and they were shooting really good.I will give them a try some day i'm sure.

Muley, I did get my hands on some 177 HV's finally..I was let down as their listed BC is way too high..I really wanted them to be a home run, they shot well but I was using nearly the same MOA (within .5 moa) out to 1200 yards as I was using with the 180 MRX..How they missed it so bad is a mystery to me..the MRX is listed at .48, the HV at .62, wow!

Good stuff Guys, Thanks!!!

Joey

My boy shot his cow elk with a 165 AB out of a.308 win. at 205yds. She took two steps and tipped over. Clean pass through right behind the shoulder. I was very impressed. I've used them out of my 300WSM out to 500yds on muleys and they work perfectly. I just can't come to use the Berger yet when the AB has 100% success. I really don't care about the BC dead is dead.

"You'll never get a big one if you shoot a little one"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom