30-06 pump vs .300 wsm bolt

map1

I've own a remington 7600 pump action in 30-06 for years and have killed many whitetails with it. Am looking for a good antelope, mule deer and elk rifle and have considered a .300 wsm bolt action. Have never shot the 06 over 200 yds since i live in Michigan. Anyone guess how the 2 compare at shots over 300 yds?

Trust in your ol' ought-six. Practice hitting something at a quarter-mile with it--if you and it can do that, your good to go.
In the meantime, the WSM, just buy it. You'll be bustin' Big Stinkin' Elk with it before you can say "Pref. Point".
Little heavy for lope, though, if you want more than half the animal.

I also will vote to stick with the gun you know. The 30-06 is more than adequate to do the job if the shooter is up to the task. You will not find any real advantage by going up to a WSM in the field.

i will agree with sticking to the gun you know, but i would also say get to know it at 300yds. i am a former whitetail hunter from new york and never shot at targets or deer over a hundred yards. when i moved out west and started hunting out here...i was realllll intimidated at a 300 yard shot, still am and have not taken one yet, although i would now if i needed to. i still hunt with an '06, but i have moved to a bolt action instead of my old faithful remington 742 semi-auto. that just wasn't accurate enough for me, which is too bad cuz i own 2 of them.

Agreed, confidence in your rifle is much more important than a little more speed.

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

The big draw back with the pump is that the trigger sucks and can't be adjusted. Trust me I know. Rem Gamemaster 760 30-06.
cold dead hands

With the remington 7600 or 760 it is generally considered that the best grouping that can be achieved with a solid rest depending on the shooter is 1 1/2"-3" depending on the shooter.

This can be verified through many articles available over the interent by major magazines as well as individual's statements about their experience with the gun. With my expereince having a 760 in a gun vise at a 100 yard range the best the gun was capable of was a 2 1/2" group. I have an old bolt action that will beat that hands down with a trigger pull of 9-10 lbs! I think the 30.06 will do just fine compared to a lot of calibers, but your main problem lies with the gun(7600) you have.

Look to pick up an old bolt action and your range will improve.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-07 AT 05:38PM (MST)[p]An older gentleman my dad was working with asked me to work up a load for his 760 in 30-06'. Id didn't take me long at all to build a load for it that shot 1" or better.

Before you decide to buy a new rifle take yours to the range and see what it can do.

Confidence is key. And if you have a fairly accurate rifle and confidence with the gun, you have a recipe for success.

If you get good groups with it save your money and get some good Bino's..

horsepoop.gif

This is coming from someone who ones a 300 Wsm and a 30-06. You do not need the 300 for the 300 yard shots. You will do just fine with a 30-06. When you start practicing your long shots if you do not like holding high, then maybe look at the 300 wsm. It is a very flat shooter at a very long range. And it will knock down your elk like a sack full of rocks.

I would keep the 30-06 for deer and antelope. You can kill an elk all day long with it also. But if you want to have a ton of confidence on the longrange shots and have a gun that carries a ton of power with it, then get the 300 wsm.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID12/7287.html

http://www.monstermuleys.com/photos/PhotosID1/1995.html

2pointer

The balstics are 6 in one half dozen at 300.

From Federal's balistics chart:

30 cal 180 partition 06 vs 300wsm
06 vs wsm
100 200 300 ----- 100 200 300
2.0 0 -8.4 -------- 1.5 0 -6.7
4.8 5.6 0 -------- 3.7 4.5 0

If you sight in for a 300 zero your total diference in flighpath is 1 inch. When you are shooting at an 18 inch kill zone it's a moot difernece. Shoot the one you hit with. I'd also sight in for the 300 zero rather than the hold over. With that method you can point for just low of the mid point of the kill zone and know that the whole way out to the target be it 50 yards or 300 the bullet path is a kill. You can aim center of mass and you make no guess for where the cross hairs are compared to perceived drop.

Your old 06 is more than enough medicine for any game in the lower 48. However a back up rifle is a wise choice and a good investment when you consider the time and money invested in hunts. The 06 will do anything the 300 will out to at least 400 yards, it just wont shoot quite as flat. If you choose to get a second caliber I recommend you go with something other than a 30 cal. Any of the 7 mags with the proper bullet and placement will do for the largest of bulls and they are a great choice for mountain and speed goats as they shoot flatter than any of the 30's. My primary elk rifle is a 338. I would not have purchased it if I were just hunting elk as I own several 06's. The 338 was a gift from my dad when I lived in Alaska in 80-81. But beings that I have it I take advantage of the killing power. I load 180gr bullets in my 06's and 250's in my 338, they have very similar trajectories. I zero them for 300 yards. Put a good scope on your rifles, the west is big, open country. Also get practice shooting out to 400 yards to get familiar with your weapon and abilities.
Good hunting!
NORKALNIMROD

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom