30-30 for elk?

If you use Berger bullets, a wind meter, lazer range finder, with a 30-30 you can..... still only shoot about 200yrds. God forbid that, what kind of slob gets into that kind of range?? Good hunters kill 600+yrds!! Thanks Best of the West, and Long Range Hunter for pointing out how foolish we all are for cutting the distance!!

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

If you compare the ballistic charts for a .308 and a 30-30 you may be surprised. If my memory is correct, there is about a 100 yards dif between the two. IOW, at 200 yards the 30-30 compares very well, velocity wise, w/the .308 at 300, now if you compare Leverevolution ammo to .308 stuff, the dif is less.

BTW, velocity isn't everything as slower moving bullets oftern penetrate more than faster ones as the faster ones often mushroom faster and do other stuff (like break apart) that inhibits their penetration.
John 14:6

Huh? My 308's have about 700fps and 500ft lbs more energy at 300 than a 30-30 does at 200. It gets a little closer at 400yds but unless your talkin conventional bullets the two dont compare very well. The thudy thudy could do a whole lot better in a bolt gun or a rotory mag but then whats the point? The 30-30 has its place, but shooting elk past 100 yds aint it.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I forgot to mention, they are still the COOLEST gun on the planet. Who, deep down, doesn't want a lever gun?

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-11 AT 05:51PM (MST)[p]I have a model in 1894 Winchester lever gun in .375 Win. that might make a fine close in Elk weapon. With little experience in archery and no experience in black powder, i'd take that .375 over them other options in a heartbeat!

It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom