30-30

accubond

Starting to keep my eye open for a 30-30. I live in Minnesota and hunt the northern part of the state for whitetail where we will make deer drives on occasion. I really want an unscoped Winchester model 94 for my brush gun but I'm wondering what you guys would pay and look for if you were in the market. The only thing I know is this gun will be used so a pre 64 is out of the question.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

I would look for a Marlin 336 in that caliber. Has a better rep for accuracy on the Win. 94. Also if in the future you wanted to mount a scope, the Marlin is better designed for that.
Most 94's are overrated and overpriced for a hunting rifle.

RELH

Agree, I have owned the 94's, not great guns. I currently own a 336 which is a much better gun. Also, I put see though mounts on with my scope, DON'T DO THIS! I though maybe it would make that a great brush gun, it sits the scope up too high.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Thanks for the feedback guys. Everyone I ask with any knowledge on the subject seems to agree with both of you. It looks like I can get the 336C (walnut stock) brand new for around $500 too.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

I have owned and shot several 94's but never a Marlin.

The Winchesters all shot plenty well. Used to shoot coke cans. Usually shot from 50 - 75 yards and could hit the can on every shot I didn't mess up on.

In my opinion, for what it sounds like you are looking for, there would be nothing wrong with a Winchester.

Thanks for the feedback on Winchester. I really like the straight stock on the Winnie and I am not gonna rule it out. How much would you guys pay for a used 94 in reasonable condition?

I think a lot of guys inflate the value of their 94 30-30's. Before i bought my first rifle i hunted a lot with two, one a carbine and the other a long Octogon barreled "Long Tom".

The older one's, like what i hunted with, are out of reasonable price range.

As before said, i missed a lot of deer between those rifles. I could hit the rock across from the ranch house but deer were more often missed than hit. Then again, i was just a kid and when i started, the rifle was bigger than i was.

I'd not pay over about $300. for one in very good condition. I've passed on $200. guns before.

I also agree with those that the Marlin is the better Rifle. I've a 336 with a Redfield scope that puts them right in a 1 1/2" circle, shot after shot.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

why wouldnt you hunt with a pre-64? Pre-64 is the most inflated rifle there is, and very few are even collector worthy even tho their owners all think they have a bar of gold..

Anyway,most of them are hunters in hunter condition

I'm also not a fan of the '94 and think an older marlin or savage 99 is twice the gun..I would also look into a remington 760/7600 for what you want to do.

I agree with the Savage 99 idea, find an old brass rotor 300 and you have a far better un than a 94. they sold a jillion of them so you can pick one up cheap.

Stay thirsty my friends

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom