30 cal rifle perfornance

D

D13er

If I were to build 4 rifles,all with a 26" shilen match barrel 1-10,and in the following cartridges, a 300 WSM, a 300 srum, a 300 win mag and a 300 wby mag and worked up a load for each with a 180 nosler partition that left the barrel at 3200 fps. Which would shoot the flattest, kick the least and kill the deadest ?

JB

You will be pushing it to get 3200 fps. I bet your best accuracy will be much less than 3200. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-04 AT 08:16PM (MST)[p]Although I am a die-hard Remington shooter, you would probably do best with the .300 WSM. If you would like to stay with a tried and proven round, the .300 Win mag. If you would like to step UP, .300 Remington Ultra Mag. mtmuley

If each shoots the same bullet(180 NP) at the identical velocity, the trajectory will be identical and kill equally. The recoil depends on the rifle weight and stock configuration. But if each chambering is in identical riles, there will be no noticeable difference(the wsm or saum will weigh a few ounces less than the winnie or weatherby due to the short action).
If you were to compare cartridges, you would be able to get more muzzle velocity (maybe 100fps with handloads) out of the Weatherby. Will the game you shoot at notice the difference in headstamp-no. I'd concern myself more with the choice in stock, action, and barrel contour, than the headstamps you listed.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom