30 incher in idaho's unit 55 early hunt?

S

ShedFreak5

Has anyone seen any pics of a 32to33 inch four point with decent front forks and tiny backs coming out of this unit this year my friend drew a super combo tag this year and we had the buck at 150 yards opening morning but decided to pass having a super tag all though while i was running back to get my camera some other guys started shooting from around 600 yards "shooting up towards us" after 6 or 7 shots they finally killed the deer just curious of how wide the deer really was and what did he tape out to be.

cool....sounds like fun

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

If it was one of those who live in the area, they will not have measured it; most don't. Not unless it's MUCH better than you described.

There are some HUGE deer there.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-11 AT 04:24AM (MST)[p]I don't know about the buck, but that is quite possibly a world record run on sentence. I honestly felt out of breath and dizzy reading it. :)
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I believe I might have received that in an email today. Looks like what you described.??????
92572.jpg

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

I would shoot over your head to kill that wide buck too! JK

They must have been GREAT sportsman to shoot past you like that. Doesn't sound very safe to me regardless of the deer's size. Some folks simply refuse to think of others safety.

Zeke

i was so hoping these "pop" shots at long range wouldn't catch on in idaho. you can watch one episode of long range hunter and be a pro now ! and if you don't shoot 700 + yards you are seen in the eyes of long range snobs as a halfling ! safety first

Beavis,

I hate to break it to your but People have been flinging bullets at 600+ yards many years before there were turrets, rangefinders and long range scopes. The only difference now days is its not just a hope and a prayer. oh and most the time it only takes one shot from a so called snob when they decide to pull the trigger! Sorry its taken you so long to figure it out.

Yep, that is sure him, thanks for the pic. I didn't know that there would be some english teachers posting. lol

Hey one_dry,
I didn't mention the RANGE. I only got disgusted when I heard they shot toward others. This makes them slobs if they knew others were there, regardless of their shooting abilities.

I really think effective range varies wildly based on equipment and talent. I'll be the last person to tell someone they can't shoot at extreme range...... until I see them shoot!

BTW; I shot a couple rifles on Saturday and we'll talk privately about the results with the 200 AB. I'm pleased.

Zeke

so if you are a long range god you are entitled to shoot deer out from under people and over there heads ? lovely........

Let me remind you guys, I don't mind that they shot the deer. It just irratated me that they were shooting towards us, also the fact that they started shooting when I ran back to get my camera. To them it probablly looked liked, I was running for a gun.

What? Really Beav.
Please re-read the posts.

Shooting toward or over people disgusts and angers me... and should do the same for every sportsman....regardless of the distance.

Did you miss something?

Zeke

Wake up bevis and pay attention! Did anyone ever say its ok to shoot toward, over or near someone else? I think not!

Since hunting the high hills of southern idaho, I have caught a lot of people "scoping" me with their rifle, so they might as well be throwing lead in your direction. FRICKIN RETARDS! You'd think even the not so serious hunters would invest the $8.00 into a set of kiddie bushnell binoculars atleast? One of these days someone will do it to someone and they will have their gun barrel up their anal cavity, not saying I would do that to em, but someone I know might ;-)

No we didn't find one to shoot we let this buck go, and five or six that would be in the low 180's. Nothing to put a supertag on. I was thinking more 34 after I seen the pic. I also have video of them missing the deer a few times, but it won't let me post it.

It's amazing to me that Shed could post a message and a pic of the buck turn up the next day. Way to go MM. (The world is a very small place.) Glad you and your partner came through it ok.
The kid that shot it will have a story to tell for the rest of his life. Do you know if they actually saw you? A buck like that could be a little distracting.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-11 AT 10:19PM (MST)[p]To those that don't think much of this buck, i'm wondering if you might look at it different if it was only a 3x3? Short g-2's or whatever, that's actually a dandy public land buck that most anybody would be out of their head happy to enjoy taking. just sayin...

+1 Dingo, small world indeed!

Joey

Im pretty sure they seen us, when I seen them threw my binos, one of the guys in the group was looking right at me, and the fact that they shot while I was running back for my camera makes me wonder if they thought I was going to get a gun, so they hurried and shot.

Shedfreak,
That is good that you guys are still looking. I take it from your response that it was not your buddy that shot twice before legal shooting light that morning up by your location? I hope he finds a good buck.

However as you can see by the assumption that you started, folks on this website sure like to be monday morning QB's with out any real facts. So here they are for you.....

-The first couple shots were 422 yards not 600.
-The kill shot 224 yards.
-No shots were fired at,toward, or around you! the buck was standing in a extremely steep basin with rock slides/cliffs above. A very safe backstop of school bus sized boulders directly behind the buck. We can only assume you were one of the two guys we saw later on the SAME ridge as us, just higher.
-No one realized other hunters were around. We popped over the ridge and instanly saw this buck. All focus was on him and what happened to the other bucks. Were you or the other hunter wearing orange? If you felt threatened we appologize but the backdrop was a very safe shot. Can I assume you felt safe since you were able to stick around and video the kill?
-The hunter did not ask for his pic to be posted or anything negative directed towards him as he is very happy with his buck and the effort put forth.
-So far, all guess are wrong on score and width, but I think the hunter could care less if you got this info.......

Good luck in you hunts

it has good mains deep fronts and a killer inside spread. id shoot that buck in a heartbeat. i agree it isnt supertag worthy but it would be real hard to pass up otherwise. shooting over someone to get it is pretty messed up though. id love to see the video of those guys shooting at it.

didnt something similar to this happen down on the henries a little while back? i remember a gov tagholder shooting a buck that someone was sneaking up on with a bow tag. coulda just been hearsay or sour grapes but i remember a story like that

What? I'm shocked! You mean everything we read on the internet isn't totally factual? Oh my!

Nice buck for sure! I'd have killed him!

Thanks for having the stones to tell your side of the story and to apologize.

Good luck to all involved. At least everyone acted like an adult about it.

Zeke

Congrats to the shooter. Nice buck.

I'd bet that wide bugger has a 33 inside spread and will score around 160, but it is hard to tell tine length from just that front shot.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-11 AT 09:52AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-11 AT 09:50?AM (MST)

Well thank you for the apology, but first of all that was not us shooting before legal shooting hours. We were still getting out of our tents when this happened. I will also admit that I wasnt sure on the range of how far you guys were, but it sure looked farther than 400. Yes, we felt safe to stick around after the first shot because the deer ran "away from us towards you." Even though the first shot was 100% towards us. Were we wearing orange? NO! Were you guys, I dont think so, last I checked that is not a requirement in Idaho. Also big car sized boulders being a safe backstop haha thats a good one. Congrats to your buddy and not trying to start any bones, but I think I might make a trip back just to range it. If you were looking at the deer with your binos you should have been able to see us at the same time.

That is a sweet buck!! I am sorry that the original, and subsequent posts put a bit of a negative spin on the whole thing.

A 300 - 500 yard shot is fine in my book! It sounds to me like you guys knew what you were doing. And the fact that you did not see guys with no orange, and likely in cammo? higher on the ridge is not a surprise to me. I believe cammo is short for CAMMOFLADGE? meaning you are trying to blend in. And Shedfreak this is pointed at you, I am assuming you guys were in CAMMO if not in orange?

It is a sweet buck for sure, and it is not the fact of how far they shot from. It is the fact that they were not aware of their surroundings before the shot was taken. True we were in camo but so were they, even though when we came around the ridge we spotted them right off the bat. Congrats to the hunter and all that were involved awesome buck if we would had a 55 tag in our pocket instead of a super tag it would have been a different story. I started this post not to start b.s. but to see how wide the buck really was and what he taped out to be, Once again congrats to the lucky hunter on an awesome buck.

The first year I hunted Idaho (on private ground) I chose to wear camo instead of hunter orange. The sun came up and the lead started flying all around me. It scared the s$it out of me. I will NEVER go on a rifle hunt without an orange vest or hat again...I WANT other hunters to see me. I am not at all sympathetic to anyone not wearing orange if bullets fly toward them, especially if they are trying to hide by wearing camo! It scares me when I am hunting that some hunter might be hiding in the rocks or in the brush when that big buck comes walking by.

Great buck and congrats despite the drama being played out. I could see how having a buck like this one in your sights would tend to give one a little tunnel vision. I'm gonna throw out 35 1/2 and 168 gross.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom