300 RUM load

muzzhunter

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-09 AT 08:14PM (MST)[p]Well I am trying to get started reloading and am kinda short on funds so I don't wanna buy a bunch of stuff that probably won't work. So what I'm asking is what do you guys think would be a good load for my Sako 75 300 RUM? Anyone have one that they'd be willing to share some info on? Also what all do I need to start reloading this caliber? I have a press and the die set, but that's it. Recommendations on powder, primers, etc.
Thanks,
Dave
Edit How much of an increase in recoil am I gonna have from the factory ammo? I handle it fine just want to know what to expect.

Dave you are going to need a powder measure, set of calipers, case trimmer and a scale. Deburring tool and primer pocket cleaner also. I'm assuming you don't have this stuff? I can help with load info if you are set up. mtmuley

Thanks mtmuley. Any suggestions on brands and type of these tools? I have a Redding Big Boss press and RCBS dies. I've been told that I should get a digital scale. Any more particulars on brands and stuff would be good. I am getting my bro-in-law, and maybe my dad to pitch in and help getting set up. Then we can all utilize the whole set, while sharing the cost. BTW what about a tumbler and case cleaner?
Thanks,
Dave

With that press and dies, you are on the way. A digital scale isn't necessary, but they are nice, especially with the powder trickler. And you need a trickler if doing it manually too. Any of the new manual scales and powder measures are good, I like RCBS or Redding. Digital calipers are nice, but more money than dial kind which work just fine. I have a Forster case trimmer and love it. The newer models from RCBS, Redding and others are easier and more convienient. I prep my cases by hand but RCBS makes a motorized tool that really speeds up this monotonous chore. Also, I reccomend a hand held priming tool. A case tumbler is not a big requirement, but keeps the brass clean. I've loaded quite a bit for the .300 RUM, and I'll help all I can. mtmuley

I am getting good results with retumbo, federal 215 primers, and nosler E-tips. I have tried the barnes MRX if you are a fan of barnes fine, but I think they are going to be a lot of work to get a good load or at least that is what I was finding and they are expensive. I have two buddies that are working up loads with RL25, federal 215 primers, and nosler E-tips. I am hopeing that we can get out this weekend and shoot them. mtmuley wants to know how well they shoot so I will let you guys know after that happens. What are you planning on using the loads for elk, moose, caribou? Do you have a bullet that you want to use? What kind of distance are you planning on shooting?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom