300 RUM to 300 Win conversion?

ammoman16

I'm really hoping someone might be able to help me here. I've got a Remington 700 chambered in .300 RUM that I'd really like to rebarrel to .300 Win. I'm sure you might be asking why. Well, I'm left handed and there isn't much available in stainless to me in magnum calibers. I know there are a few, but I really want to rebarrel and restock this adn turn it into a lightweight gun that will be primarily used for elk. That being said, I am worried that I might have problems with consistent feeding due to the feeding rails being opened up too much. Earlier this afternoon I talked to one of the guys at Bansners Ultimate Rifles and he thought the same but wasn't too sure himself. I'm really hoping some of you guys have some experience with this conversion and might be able to help me out a little.

Oh, here is a list of what I'm hoping to put together
Stainless Remington 700 Action
24" Shilen stainless match grade barrel in #2 contour
Lone Wolf Summit stock
3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest Scope (same scope that is currently on it)

I'm in the same boat being a leftie. My solution was to buy a left-handed Remington 700 LSS. It's stainless and the action will be used to build my custom rifle in 7 RUM. I'm not sure what scope it will wear yet, but something that has a reticle (ballistic) that can be customized for an individual load. There are some talented shooters making incredible shots with the right set up. Have fun with your gun!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-07 AT 08:03PM (MST)[p]it's the same action, just buy a new box for a standard magnum from remington.or have the smith do a little hammering on the existing box, go buy some 300 win rounds and see how far off it is.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-07 AT 06:31PM (MST)[p]REDDOG,

I have tried cycling them through the action and haven't had any problems whatsoever feeding. I have, however, had problems with the cartridges extracting and ejecting. This, I'm sure, is a result of the extractor not going over the rim due to the difference in size between a .300 Win and a .300 RUM chamber.

untill you mentioned it, i thought they were the same. so i really don't know on that one, try sending a p.m to RELH, he could probly tell you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom