300 RUM

opbuckslayer

Anybody shooting this round? What can a guy expect for accuracy and performance? What manufacturers chamber for this round besides Remington?

My boy is buying a new rifle and wants a 300 magnum. Any advice on rifle and cartridge would be appreciated. I have a remington sps-ss in 300 win mag but you know young guys way of thinking. Gotta out-do the old man!

never heard of it....is it new??

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-11 AT 07:30PM (MST)[p]The 300 Ultra Mag was made famous bu Chuck Norris. They say that when he was born, there was already a 30-06 waiting for him at home in his crib but at 5 months old, when he started walking, he walked on down to the Gun Shop and traded it for a 300 UM. At 5 years old, Norris was shooting bunny rabbits on the run, with one shot each, at over 1000 yds. At 10, he took his first Moose, Caribou, and a nice Grizzly bear, all with the same single shot at near 3 miles away. Chuck loved that rifle so much, he slept with it in his bed each and every night, never leaving it behind when he had to go on a shoot to film one of his movies or a Texas Ranger.

By far though, the most impressive proof of chucks incredible marksmanship with that rifle was when he was in Hollywood filming one of his Kung Fue movies. He had an elk tag for the country around Ely Nev but couldn't get off the film shoot to make the hunt. One day he pulled out that ol 300 Ultra and took aim just above the ridge line due east and a bit north of his location. He steadied, fired off one shot, put the big gun back away and then got on the phone to Nevada telling his guide that he had just shot a big bull and exactly where the guide would find it.

Pretty sure Chuck Hawks can back this up but maybe not!

Joey

I've either owned or do own pretty much all the popular north American rifle calibers. If I had to choose just one it'd be the 300rum. Sure it burns a lot of powder, can kick like a mule, etc, but it's one flat shooting, hard hitting SOB.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-11 AT 10:14PM (MST)[p]its a good caliber if you can handle the recoil. ive got a rem xcr model 700 with a magnaport muzzle brake on it, everything else is bone stock off the shelf. i dumped a handfull of deer/elk in the 200-350 yard range and this year dumped a spike bull at 600yards. its like a toyota carolla or a chubby hooker, its not fancy and doesnt feel all that great, but it will perform for a reasonably small amount of money.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom