300 ultra mag has no bullet drop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

sprayer

This kid told me that he killed an elk at 700 yards by holding just above the shoulder. I told him that he made a great shot considering bullet drop would be about 5 ft at that distance. I was nice about it but those tales drive me nuts. I really have a hard time containing myself. Do you shut them down or just go along?

Have you ever tried arguing with a liar? Might just be wise to let it slide unless you think he could use a little guidance. Does he know what 700yds is? Without a range finder I can almost guarantee you he doesn't. If he just happened to jerk high enough to hit the thing then someone should let him know the odds of it happening again are slim to none. I guess for me it just depends on the situation. If they are lying I say let em' lie. If they are just plain ignorant I would try to help.

NvrEnuf

Yeah I know what you mean.Most of the time I just say something like "no chit,I'll be damned" but once in a while I tell them they are full of it.

It is my opinion that 99% of the animals killed at 500+ yards is just luck.

I don't mind when people lie to me, but it bothers me that I look stupid enough that they think I would believe them.:-(

after 400 yds, any rifle drops like a rock. ain't no way to escape gravity. you can make 700 yds shots. but you best aim high. i shot at a deer with my .270 4 years ago, just because i knew it was the only shot i would get. he was so far away and running that i elevated and led as far as my scope would allow. hit him in the heart. i was so stunned that he fell over i figured he tripped. went back the next day with a range finder, found my brass and ranged the gutpile. 680+ yds. i know i'll get some flack over it, but i don't care. but i can guarantee that if he would have stood still i'd have never got him. he ran into the bullet, i didn't hit him. my .270 drops like 7 feet or so at that range. even these new huge magnums, like the RUM, drop like crazy after 400 yds. and every yard after that the drop gets more dramatic. at 700 yds they're going almost straight down. just can't get around it. physics just won't allow it. if he got the elk at 700 yds by aiming just over it's back, his rifle was sighted in at least 4' high at 100 yds. or he flinched real bad.

I love it when guys tell me about their guns that don't drop.. It gives me pleasure to know that someone out there knows less than me..a guy I know was elk hunting and had a bull standing still at at roughly 435yds (I have ranged it but can't exactly remember) And he shot at this bull 11 TIMES.. yeah 11 that bull didn't even know he was being shot at. He never moved and the guy ran out of bullets.. It never occured to the guy that he might want to hold a little high. But he was shooting a .300wby and thought if he could see it he could hold dead on and kill it. I laugh about that one quite a bit. Don't get me wrong I love big and fast magnums, I just like to actually shoot them to see where they are hitting then just hope it might hit..

I once had a coworker claim to have killed a spike elk at 1500 yds with his 300 win mag. He said it was running full out and he held even with the front of it's chest for windage, and even with the top of it's back for elevation. He pretty much got laughed right out of the break room.

I remember sitting down and doing some rough calculations at the time. I then told him how far low and behind the elk he would have shot ( I don't remember the numbers now, but you can imagine that his bullet probably wasnt in the same area code as the bull when the bullet got there ), anyways, he said that I didn't know what I was talking about and swore that his story was true. He really did kill a spike that year, but I am guessing that it was a lot closer than he said.

Later, after hearing some more of his long range hunting stories, I decided to see how well he could judge distance. I pointed out a breaker panel on the wall of the shop that I knew was almost exactly 20 yds from where we were standing and asked him how far he thought it was. He said it was 45 yds. I just laughed and said "That's what I thought".

That guy was just plain stupid, so it didn't bother me when he told his tall tales. Sometimes though I do get offended when someone tells a lie that only an idiot would believe. Kind of makes me wonder if they really think I am stupid enough to believe them.

actually I shoot a warbird which in a sence is very close to a 300rum
the bullet does indeed drop as for any of my hunts i sight my rifle in at 300 yard zero and I do own a range finder and I also have a swarovski scope with the tds so it helps with range.
but understand most people are liarers and can't shoot past 400 yards
I practice all the time at 300 to 500 yards and the velocity of the these large powdr burning guns have the same bullet energy at 300 yards as a 30\06 at the muzzle so bullets drop is not as critical or fast as a slower moving bullet.
but as theroy has is what goes up most come down and they do loose energy and drop just not as fast

Sounds like his 300UM shoots just like mine....LOL
I just play along when this happens and enjoy driving by them with a nice buck in the back of my truck come huntin' season.

Quigley shot his 45-70 and killed water buckets at 1000yds! Just like I can kill an elk at 175yds with my bow!!!! Ha Ha...

jeremy

Hey Sprayer, I got thinking about this one while messing with some trajectory software charts the other day. I forgot to mention in my previous post a pretty interesting fact. I guess the best way to tell the story would be like this. My 300 Win Mag drops 5ft at 700yds (just like you said) at 10,000 ft elevation shooting straight away or flat. The interesting thing is if I was to shoot down hill or up hill on a 45 degree angle it will only drop about 28 inches at 700yds (1/2 as much). This would almost allow you to nail an elk if you were to hold just above the sholder. The steeper the angle the less the bullet will drop. Not sure if you already knew this but I thought you might find it interesting. If your buddy were shooting straight down he could probably hold right on the elk at 700yds and nail it? So many variables! I wonder if your buddy was shooting up or down hill? Just a thought.

8 days till the UT archery hunt opens.
5 weeks till the WY rifle hunt opens.
6 weeks till the UT muzz hunt opens.
9 weeks till the UT rifle hunt opens.

Good luck this year!

NvrEnuf

He's not a buddy, just some young kid I was talking to. Don't even know his name. I'm aware of the up / downhill shots but those are surprising figures. We also have to consider cross winds. Still not buying it, but your post makes it more interesting.

Howdy Sprayer,

My advice is... don't waste your time. My Dad has an old old saying. Goes like this.... You can't reason with unreasonable people!

Best to you.

Coach

You got it Coach!
Daddy used to tell us to remember, "when you're arguing with an idiot, make sure they're not doing the same thing!
By the way, I haven't had my 300RUM very long, I started shooting it about the first of the year and I'm crazy about it. I've shot it at 100, 200, and 300 yds so far and not any further. I hope to get down to the ranch this weekend and "air it out" a little farther. Good luck to you fellas this Fall.

Hasta Luego
LngTLLTxn

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-03 AT 03:09PM (MST)[p]Kid's full a poop. My .300 Ultra shoots a 180 grain Barnes XLC at a muzzle velocity of around 3,400 fps. With a 200 yard zero this bullets drops a little over 1' at 400 yards, 6' at 700 yards, and a whopping 16' at 1,000 yards. This is actual figures from shooting at the range, not from a software package. Of course the kid could be shooting 120 grain bullets and coming close to that trajectory.

Ok NvrEnuf said it finally. You can be 700 yards away from a target straight away, yet on a verticl plane only 100 yards. You have to also consider maximum effective range.
In reply to the actual subject of this thread, I let them tell there story anyway they want. It is their lie, If you believe them that is another story (DAH).
Sometimes I will get the information just to prove them wrong, but that really depends on who I am dealing with. We all embelish at some time in our life.
"SEMPER FIDELIS"

OK guys, this must be true!
If a 30-378 has the same ballistics as a 300RUM then this must be true because it happened to my neighbor! He said he shot his elk last yeat at 600+yds with a 30-378. He said he held "just above center-mass" and took out both lungs. Is this weird or is it just me? I'm just glad I'm not the only one to hear such stories.

What all you guys don't understand is that when we buy these top fuel calibers you do not sight them in for a 200 yard zero.
I have a lazzeroni warbird and I sight my rifle in at 3.5 inches high at 100 yards which give me a dead on (no hold over) all the way to 600 yards using a 150 grain nosler ballistic tip. yes my 200 yard shot is approx 6 inches high but who cares when there is a dead on shot all the way to 600 yards,especially if you are shooting at a animal the size of a elk,if you lazer him at 650 hold the cross hairs on the top of his back. Also guys we DON"T have a leopuld 3x9 scope on these type of rifles, it's more like a 4x16 or a 6x24 swarovski. So don't knock it until you try it with the proper practice and equiptment a 600 yard shot is not all that difficult.

Warbird, What's the muzzle velocity of that thing? Must be pushing close to 5,000 fps to have a dead on shot to 600 yards?

faebfccc.jpg

I have 2 300 RUM's and I zero mine @ 100yds, Therefore with 180gr @ 400yds I am app 14" low, and at 500 yds app 30" low. On a elk not a big deal. But Warbird is correct on the optics, I shoot leupolds vari X III 6x20x40 and 4x14x50. Muzzle velosity depending on the handloads and bullet grn App. 3300fps.

Bucksnort actually the muzzle velocity is 3970 with a 150 grain bullet
Elkslayer why in the world would you sight a 300rum for 100 yards why not 3 inches high sou you have a point of impact for a 350 yard shot
well anyway we all sight things in the way we feel comfortably

Warbird

Warbird,

It's seems impossible to me that you can be point on out to 600 yards.With that BC of .435 and a muzzle velocity of 3970 and +3.5" @ 100 yards your still gonna be around 14" low at 600 yards.

Bucksnort it might seem hard to believe but the ballistic charts we all have don't compinsate for the extra large calibers even my chronograph shown it to be incorrect but thats what it is
Actually it shown on my real life chart thats it's 564 yards

Just another thing that Lazzeroni arms is making is a rifle that will push a 30 cal 180 grain bullet at almost 4000 fps it will take about 135 grains of powder the gun will be ready sometime next year for testing purposes.

I think what we have here is a difference in definitions. Warbirds definition of "dead on" : his post "if you lazer him at 650 hold the cross hairs on the top of his back.".

My definition would be point of aim point of impact.

Definition doesn't matter as long as you hit him where you want to.

"SEMPER FIDELIS"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom