300 Win Mag Federal Premium - 180 Grain Partition question

arroyobuck

I was in a sporting goods store this weekend and decided to buy a box of Federal 180 grain Partitions. I usually reload everything I shoot but thought I would try these out. They weren't cheap.

I didn't open the box at the store, but when I got home I did and noticed they had a cannelure. I have not seen a 30 cal 180 grain partition with a cannelure. These are the protected points as opposed to the spitzer but I sure as hey don't remember a cannelure on 180 partitions.

If somebody has a box of these Federal Premium factory loads can you take a look and see if yours has a cannelure? I think I may have gotten screwed.

Thanks

Arroyo

I would call Nosler and/or Federal customer service and ask. As a last recourse, I would pull a bullet out for inspection and if necessary I would cut it lenghtwise.

Sometimes Nosler runs a cannelure and some times they don't. I have bought some over runs from Shooters Pro Shop and I have gotten both with and without in the same order.

No need to panic. Noslers factory Partitions always have a cannelure. I'm betting the cannulere and crimp are probably used in factory ammo to avoid any problems. Why is it a problem? mtmuley

Thanks to all you people that responded. Sounds like sometimes thay have them and sometimes they don't in the factory loads. I may give Nosler or Federal a call to confirm this.

mtmuley - not a problem if they really are Partitions. If I'm paying $47 a box, I want to know it's the real thing. It would be easy fore some a-hole to switch the cartridges from box to box in the store. Also Federal, could have fouled up.

I have no problem with cannelures, just never seen any on the 180 partitions I reload or in the Nosler book.

Arroyo

When I was building rifles, I used Federal Partition 180 gr. 300 Win. mag bullets for accuracy testing. The factory 180 gr. had a cannelure and the bullets you get for reloading does not.

I will not tell you about picking up Nosler Partition bullets at the gun show for 20 bucks a box of 50 since you paid such a high price for those factory rounds.

RELH

arroyobuck, I'm pretty sure it's a safety measure in factory ammo. I have a box of Federal Premium 180 Partitions for my .30-06 that are at least 12 years old, and they have a cannelure. Aren't Federal rifle ammo boxes seales these days? mtmuley

mtmuley, no, the boxes are not taped shut. I talked to Nosler, they told me that the factories special order cannelures because they crimp everything.

Arroyo

I bought a box of Nosler custom ammo .300 win mag accubonds and they have cannelures!

If you call Nosler they would be happy to explain why they put cannelures on factory bullets

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom