300 Win Mag Load for both deer and elk?

N

NV4x4

I am going to be hunting both deer and elk next month and I've been trying various loads and bullets with some success with the Remington Scirocco in 180 grain. Does anybody use this bullet type for combo hunts or any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks

NV4x4

I always hunted both with a 180gr slug and have never had a deer take one step forward. They either piled up in their tracks or went backwards and then tiped over. Some people have said that it might be a little over kill but I'm not bothered much by the recoil. This year I changed to a 165gr bullet for deer and my buck did end up going approx. 20yds before expiring. It was a clean hit right through the vitals. I will not plan to use this slug for elk but it would most likely do the trick. You won't be sorry as long as you hit him in the right place.

NvrEnuf

180 grn is perfect. maybe a bit heavy for deer but it wont complain. sure wish I had some of NvrEnuf's magic bullets. I've only had two drop in there tracks and all but one have been one shot kills. Most of them were double lung/heart hits. I've seen a lot of deer shot with .30 cals and frankly they don't drop in there tracks consistantly unless spine or neck shot.
180's are perfect I use partitions but swift are good too.

NV 4x4,

I am shooting the 150 grain trophy bonded bear claw Federal Premium. I shot an elk with the 150 grain a couple of years ago and it did the job just fine. Although some may say this bullet is too light, as long as the shot is placed well it should do the job. As some have already said, the 180 may be considered a little too heavy. My decision was made strictly on ballistics and the distances I feel comfortable shooting in relation to where I have to hold on the animal. I prefer to sight in at 300 yards and hold on hair out to 400.

My two cents anyway.

dds/Darren

Thanks for the help everyone. After looking at the terrain I'm going into this year, I decided to go with old reliable Nosler Partitions in 180 gr. Most likely my shot will be under 200 yds. and probably under 100 yds. due to the thick timber patches. I thought about sticking with my 150 gr. partitions but afraid of hitting an elk rib or branches, etc. in the thicker country. I had a box of Bearclaws in my hand but decided to go with what I had more experience with in Nosler.

Hopefully I'll be posting a picture of the results here in the next few weeks.

Thanks again

It's not a Win Mag, but I use 65 grains of RL22 in my .300 H&H behind a 200 grain Nosler Partition. Worked like a charm on a mule deer last year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom