300 win mag vs. 300 PRC

Nockbuster98

Explain to me like I’m 5 years old the difference between 300 win mag and 300 PRC. I am not a gun nut, I don’t reload, and I’m not a long ranger. Any benefit to one over the other? Any reason to choose one over the other?

The pec was designed from is inception to be a long range cartridge, heavy, high bc bullets in factory ammo, 8 twist barrel, etc. The win mag can also be an excellent long range cartridge, but not all rifles or factory ammo will shoot the long, heavy bullets well.

If you're a handloader, not much difference between the two, if you want to buy an off the shelf rifle and shoot factory ammo at long ranges, the prc is probably the better choice.

5 year olds like pictures.

Screenshot 2023-10-02 144934.png

I have a.300 WM, a .300 PRC, and a .300 RUM. (A 30-06 and a 30-30 also) Guess which gun I use for elk….
.338 WM. I like it more.

257Tony gave a great explanation.
If you are not interested in 400+ yards and don’t reload, the 300 win mag is the best choice because it will be easier and likely cheaper to buy factory ammunition.
I have a custom 300 win with a fast twist barrel and load my own ammunition. It does just as well for long range as a 300 PRC.

If you're building a rifle you can put whatever twist you want on it.
I'd go with the 300 Win over the flavor of the month and give up nothing.

If I were building a long range rifle today I'd go with the 30 Nosler or RUM. for normal hunting 300 Win.

Look at a 7PRC? 5# less recoil than Winmag and higher velocity/more energy at 500, but after that it does a burn out. Just an idea I'm pondering myself.

Look at a 7PRC? 5# less recoil than Winmag and higher velocity/more energy at 500, but after that it does a burn out. Just an idea I'm pondering myself.
I’m not so sure about that, I’d like to see the bullets you’re comparing. I’m betting it’s another apples to oranges comparison.

Between the weight and brake my long range 300 kicks like a 243.

I took a long range shooting school this year where we shot out to 1 mile and nearly everything was there. the loaner guns some guys were using were all 7 PRC's , they did okay but I wouldn't trade my 300 for one.

At the end of the two says I came to the conclusion, in real world shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor is a joke and the 338 Lapua is amazing. and all of the standard long-range cartridges are so similar the differences are mostly just for campfire conversation for most shooters. get whatever you want it's going to work as long as it's accurate.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom