300 wsm loads

mlycrzy

Very Active Member
Hey fellas,
I have a Browning A-Bolt 300 wsm which I absolutley love.I plan on hunting antelope this year and want a bullet that shoots flat as possible.The last few years I've mainly shot 180 grain bullets and thought that may be way to heavy for antelope.Anyone have this rifle,and what factory ammo would you suggest for antelope or deer? I've been given alot of opinions by my buddies but just wondered what you guys thought? Thanks and good luck in the draws!

I do not have the opportunity to hunt antelope, but I also love my 300 WSM.
Between myself and my nephews, we have taken 4 mule deer with this gun in the last two years. I have only used Federal 180gr Accubonds with great success and have retrieved 2 of the spent bullets. Great retention, all one shot kills. The first buck I took was wounded, so I took a much longer shot than I am comfortable with (approx 500yds) and dropped him in his tracks.
I would think a 150gr Accubond would shoot a little flatter and give you the same results.
Good Luck!

Stay with the 180's. They may drop an inch more at 100 yards, than a 150, but they will also drift much less in the wind. They're not too heavy for antelope. If you're worried about meat loss, the lighter bullets at higher velocity would be worse in that regard. If you do want to go with a lighter bullet, a 165 would be a good choice. But if 180's are shooting good in your rifle, there's no reason to switch.

I would vote for the 165 gr bullet for the reason Bob D said, reduced side wind drift. If it weren't for wind on the prairie, I be all over the 150 gr bullets for antelope. Type of bullet is your preference. I have learned with my 300wsm that 150 gr regular spire points drop deer in their tracks but they explode big time with 100 yard or less shots. Go for a Partition or bonded bullet. I would think either should work good for you.

I have been using barnes 168tsx with great success. I am also using Reloader 19 powder for my best load.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom