300 WSM RECOIL/GENTRY MUZZLEBRAKE

7mmULTRAMAG

I AM PATIENTLY WAITING FOR THE KIMBER 8400 MONTANA IN 300 WSM
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE RECOIL IS LIKE IN A LIGHTWEIGHT 300WSM RIFLE AND DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH A DAVID GENTRY MUZZLEBRAKE IS IT AS LOUD AS MOST OTHER BRAKES?
THANK YOU

7mmULTRAMAG

waiting for the mt antelope results with great hope

I would wait until you get the rifle and test fire it to see if you need a muzzle brake. Test it by shooting from positions that you would use in the field, shooting from a benchrest will result in more felt recoil then shooting from a hunting position. After the testing, if you feel that you must have a muzzle brake, I would reccommend the Vais brand over others. I have gotten the best results from Vais on recoil reduction and noise level over about five other brands that I have installed on mag. rifles for other persons. I have used the Gentry brand, and the Vais was better for both recoil and noise level. Brownell's , www.brownells.com does carry the Vais and Gentry muzzle brakes.
RELH

RELH gave you some good advise. I wouldn't put a brake on that pretty Kimber anyway. FWIW

I'm w/ RELH on this one. I just had a Vais Brake put on my new Weatherby 300 mag (SBGM)and it tamed the muzzle jump dramatically along with the recoil. I was pleasantly surprised that it did not increase the noise levels significantly.

If you get the Kimber and want a brake of the same quality as the rifle, check out highperformancegunsmiths.com You will not be disappointed. mtmuley

Mtmuley;
I checked out the site you mentioned and viewed the pictures of the rifle muzzle brakes. It is a nice trim package, and very similar to the Vais brake. Their prices are in line also. The only problem I can see is that by looking at the photos of the brakes, it appears the port holes are drilled at a 90 degree angle, not slanted forward a few degrees. If this is correct, their brake will be a very loud one and guaranteed to ring your ears every time you pull the trigger. I also noticed that they did not mentioned anything about about the level of noise concerning their brakes. I would have to shoot one of their brakes before I would consider purchasing one.
The Vais brake is almost as slim as the one you mentioned, but I know from experience that it will also reduce felt recoil by the same amount, but has proven to be better in the noise department then any other brake I have seen on the market.

RELH

RELH, All brakes are loud to me and I have been next to some of Kevin's at the range. Honestly, I can't tell the difference with the muffs on. What I do know is he is a first class smith and I count myself lucky to have him 10 miles away. He treats average joes like me as well or better than his foreign clientel. Just between us, I wouldn't brake a Kimber either. Too pretty. mtmuley

I agree with you, I will not use any brake on my own rifles, I love my hearing too much. As for the Kimber, about as close to custom you can come in a production rifle. A brake would ruin a beautiful package.
RELH

P.S. If you are into 45 ACP pistols, Kimber makes the best one for fit and accuracy. It appears that Kimber values old world craftsmanship in building their firearms.

7mmUltra,
I'm glad you have patience cause I don't know about Kimber and that Montana, I've had one on "reserve" since 03. I have since given up. I think if you went with one of the companies that make a slimline muzzlebreak or the Vais break you'd be just fine. Do what you like and make the gun into what you want. Have fun and give us a report when you get yours.

I don't know about you guys but I own 2 gentry muzzle breaks and love them both

7mmultramag;

As I stated before, I have installed and shot both the Vais brake and the Gentry. Without earmuffs, the Vais was loud enought to cause some discomfort, the Gentry was much louder to where it caused pain and ringing in my left ear. I installed the Gentry on a 300 mag. and the customer is now thinking about having it removed due to it causing painful ringing in his ear when shooting while hunting. The Vais was also installed on a 300 mag. and the difference in noise level is LARGE!!!

RELH

I have to tell you my the gentry quiet brakes I have are not quiet but I do believe they are quieter that a KDF
The real deal is on the gentry you can shoot on a dirt ground with a 8 inch bypod and all the dirt from the muzzle blast will go outwards in front of you. I also have a kdf and a mcmillen brand muzzle break on 2 other rifles and the reaction is quiet different the dirt from the muzzle blast will be blown right into your scope and eyes and small rocks hitting you in the face.
The gentry greaks have their holes drilled slightly foward and not out directly to the side
WARNING if you have a gentry brake installed on your rifle it can't be just changed the threads on a gentry brake are different than all the other brakes and it's not interchangable with another brand unless you cut the threads off the end of the barrel

Brakes are only good to tame the recoil of cartridges so that people needing one shouldn't be shooting that cartridge in the first place. mtmuley

MtMuley;
You are going to take some heat for that statement from all the mag loving shooters, who have to use a muzzle brake because they can not take the recoil.
I fully agree with you. If a mag kicks you enought, that you have to brake it, and chance losing your hearing, you should drop down to a non-mag, or lighter kicking mag. Some of the mag boys will find out that a 30-06, 270, 25-06, 308, will kill just as well as a mag. What counts is putting the bullet in the right place, and using the proper bullet to get the job done. If alot more shooters, who are flinching with their mags, will do this, there would be alot less gut shots on game.

RELH

I'll take the heat. I shoot a Remington .300 Ultra Magnum without a brake. I am neither bragging nor BSing. I also am not advocating the use of large magnums. I have fired up to 40 rounds at the bench through my rifle at one sitting. I just feel that if you choose one of the new "super magnums", that you should be able to handle the consequenses. If the rifle that you gave up had the same recoil as a magnum with a brake, why bother? Also, I feel muzzle brakes on big guns instill false confidence to unskilled users. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom