.300 WSM ?????

sjhgraysage

Very Active Member
.300 WSM ???
A friend that I was talking with told me of his recent unusual experience with this cartridge. He has extensive reloading/shooting experience from .243 to .458 Lott. He told me that while loading for a new rifle in .300 WSM, he was having trouble seating bullets, the problem being that some times the neck or shoulder collapsing when attempting to seat the bullet. He said that the brass was new Winchester, and that he also had problems getting it in the RCBS sizing die to begin with. (He runs new cases through the die prior to loading the first time.) I thought that maybe the brass has necks that are to thick and that after sizing they are to small to get the bullet started (bullets are Barnes TSX 168gr.)
Or that his expander in the die is to small, but that would make it easier to get the brass in the die the first time, wouldn't it?
He said he chamfered the mouths and even lubed them and was still having problems seating bullets. Anyone else have similar experience? I was thinking of buying a rifle in this caliber, but may change my mind and get a regular .300 Win. Mag.

The problem is with the die/dies. Is he trying to crimp as he is seating?

Back the seater die way off then place a unloaded case ontop the shell holder and run it up as far as it will go. Now screw the seater die down until you just feel it contact the case, then back it off 1/2-3/4 turn. Tighten the lock nut and set the seater stem to desired depth. All cases should be trimmed to the same length and under maximum.

New cases should not have thick necks,this happens from repeated sizing/loading.

If he has done all of this I would expect a faulty die. What brand is it? Most companies have great customer service and will fix/replace for free.

If he has done all of the right steps and it is hard to get the brass started in the sizing die then I would bet my money that the die is bad.

As far as you wondering if you should still get a 300WSM.....Well this has nothing to do with caliber it is the die,it can happen to any caliber.

Hope this helps, let me know eithewr way would ya? I'm curious.

beavis.gif

Bucksnort, thanks for the reply
without re-contacting him, the dies are new RCBS and his hunting buddy had the exact same problem with .300 WSM and he had RCBS dies, his buddy got rid of the rifle and went back to older cartridges like 7mm Rem Mag and .270 Win.
I am positive that he is not trying to crimp the case mouth, and should add that the problem occurred at the point where the bullet should start into the case, he said the problem ruined almost half of the new cases that he bought.

Usually there's a simple solution by just calling RCBS and asking them for advice. Like I said befor I wouldn't put the blame on the caliber. I load and shoot a 270WSM and have no problems.

You also might try posting this at http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=5

There are alot of very knowledgable folks there who have helped me ALOT. I would be willing to bet they will tell you exactly whats wrong.

beavis.gif

Well, it does not have anything to do with it being 300WSM.

If everything is as you state it I would suspect the dies. I have loaded many 300WSM's using both Winchester brass and barnes 168tsx's without a hint of trouble.

I use Forester and Redding dies mostly with competition seaters.

the seating die has a shoulder in it. does he have it screwed down so far that he's hitting it? i've seen that happen before.

As mentioned in another post I ended up with a rifle in .300 WSM, Got RCBS dies and WIN brass cases. Did the case prep as in cases through the sizer die, chamfered the mouths, and deburred the flash holes,
Loaded up some cartridges and had zero problems!!
Still don't know what my friends' problems stem from, but I didn't have any. Now on to the range.

I have a 168 tsx load that my 300wsm likes using RL19 hope you have good luck at the range.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom