308 Win Load Recommendations Please

arroyobuck

It's been *a long* time since I have hand loaded the 308 (30+ years ago).

Since I have bought the little Kimber in 308, and have had decent luck with cheap factory loads, I have decided to try some hand loads to see what happens.

What's the consensus in powder? I see a lot on the internet about Hodgdon Varget these days.

Anybody on the forum have any recipes you would recommend for an all around 308 hunting load that's consistently accurate?

I was thinking about trying the 150 grn Accubond. Any of you have any data for it and varget powder?

Thanks

Arroyo

I'd look into the 155 gr Scenar's...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

150gr Nosler Accubond, Win brass, Win LR primer, 46grs Varget, 2925 fps. Works great in my Kimber, close to max..... I would back off a few grs to start.

Thanks everyone!

It looks like the powders which were recommended in this thread can be used in the non-magnum calibers I normally shoot (222, 7-08, 308).

In the spirit of risking getting run off for asking too many questions, I take my chance with another:

To be used with the three above calibers in hunting rifles, which should I get? (Varget, BLC2, H4895) or, will I not be able to tell the difference in shooting or loading ease?

Thanks

Any of those powders could work in all three. Its a matter of your rifle will like the combo and how well it groups. I like to have multiple powders on hand to try but if I had to choose one for all 3 of those it would be varget.

>I'd look into the 155 gr
>Scenar's...
>
>
horsepoop.gif

>
>Disclaimer:
>The poster does not take any
>responsibility for any hurt or
>bad feelings. Reading threads poses
>inherent risks. The poster would
>like to remind readers to
>make sure they have a
>functional sense of humor before
>they visit any discussion board.
>
+1 0n the 155gr Scenar's & Varget works well for me...

I used 46 Varget in my Kimber with partitions shot bug holes from the bench. I use the same load in EW 308 and it works great.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-11 AT 03:07PM (MST)[p]I sold the Kimber I am getting older and it was too light for me I could not hold it steady off hand. The EW is shooting every bit as good as the Kimber and its easier to hold it off hand for me. I have a EW in a 270 with a Mcmillian stock and its also a tack driver. I have heard very few complaints about the EW rifles. I had a ton of offers for the 308 while at the range. Don't get the me wrong the Kimber was a great shooting gun but it didn't work for me. It was definatly lighter.

My current favorite rifle and I am liking it alot is a stainless FW Winchester 06 in Mcmillian I don't know what the weight is but it balences and carries perfect for me.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Hardway
Bhunter

Do either of you have am overall measurement for your 308 loads with 150 grain Accubonds and Partitions? I am looking for a good stating point for the Kimber.

Anybody else please chime in if you have a suggestion.

Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-11 AT 10:18AM (MST)[p]I don't have my info here but Hardways sounds about right. For some reason I have gotten better accuracy from the partions then the their accubonds. I don't know what is it but I have had a terrible time with them. Maybe its my reloading technique, now I get great groups with the BT for practice. I can get most other bullets to shoot better than Accubonds even Barns have shot well of course the Sierra shoot great too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom